Runners on first and third, 10u travel ball. Last year we threw to 4 then to 2 with a tag out then to 4. Totally different year. Opinions please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
Back in my baseball days, regardless of a runner on 1 or not, we would always watch the lead off on 3. If the kid was busting off the bag hard everytime, which is what lots of coaches teach, then we would ignore him for a few pitches to try to get him to think we didn't care. This would consist of me not even looking at him and the 3rd baseman just kicking dirt after a pitch. Then I would give a sign, 3rd base would confirm, and we'd blind throw down to 3 on the next pitch.

If you know what coming, just blind throw down to 3rd and see what you get. 3rd baseman has to be ready though. It really is a blind throw especially if there is a right handed batter. If you have to wait and see if the 3rd baseman is there, its already to late.

Jun 8, 2016
At 10U teaching what should be done at the older ages will often lead to lowering your chances of winning..which honestly I am fine with
because winning at 10U comes a distant second to development imo. Maybe a middle ground would be to work on it in practice and then
do it sparingly in games..

Jul 12, 2019
If there are two outs and the runner on first is not fast, throw her out and end the inning. (the runner likely won't try to get into a pickle so the run won't score.)

May 6, 2015
Back in my baseball days, regardless of a runner on 1 or not, we would always watch the lead off on 3. If the kid was busting off the bag hard everytime, which is what lots of coaches teach, then we would ignore him for a few pitches to try to get him to think we didn't care. This would consist of me not even looking at him and the 3rd baseman just kicking dirt after a pitch. Then I would give a sign, 3rd base would confirm, and we'd blind throw down to 3 on the next pitch.

If you know what coming, just blind throw down to 3rd and see what you get. 3rd baseman has to be ready though. It really is a blind throw especially if there is a right handed batter. If you have to wait and see if the 3rd baseman is there, its already to late.

For Catchers throwing out BR, they can never wait to see if someone is there. you will never get that runner stealing second if you wait for MI to be covering. throw has to be to a spot, not a person.

Love the blind/snap throw to 3B, catch them napping. you have it right, no looking them back (just good throws back to P, just in case runner thinks defense is really asleep and breaks for home), no pumps, nothing, then catch pitch, and before even waiting for call, throw to 3B (same as throwing to get a runner stealing 2B, and this one is even easier from knees so pitch location really does not matter). receive, transition, snap the throw. lefty catchers can even work on a no look fake out throw, all body mechanics are for throw to P, and eyes of catcher are on P, but they kind extend arm out and throw to 3B (DD is righty, so working on this for runners on 1B). horrible mechanics, but it is not for every throw.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812