Runners on 2nd and 3rd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 24, 2011
This is pretty much how I have always coached it. There really isnt too much risk or downside.

I do as well. Every once in a while on a ball hit back to the pitcher and the girl is thrown out at the plate it helps to have a fan in the stand who knows what in the world you are doing because the parents think you've lost your mind. There's very little down side and I love the aggressiveness.

I also think with less experienced players it helps because it takes away the decision making. None of this, "I thought the pitcher was going to get it" when it is hit 10 feet to her left to the second baseman.

Another thing that I've seen happen is the girl gets thrown out at the plate and the catcher will completely forget there was a girl on second because she sees the batter-runner running to second. She throws all the way through because she freaks when she sees the runner and forgets the runner who started the at-bat on second base.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Indiana
I run something that I learned from a Clinic from Patrick Murphy. I call it "Ground ball go" I don't care where it is hit. If it is a grounder, you go. I watched a third baseman freak so much that the runner was safe at home and at First because she hesitated on the throw.
It's like they think "Holy cow, their going." I think I have had two times when they got out at home and both times it was hit straight back at the pitcher like it was shot out of a cannon. Oh..and I get accused of being overly aggressive. But in the same breath, I get told I am not aggressive enough...ah the joys of being the HC.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
indianafp,

I AGREE!!!

"Ground ball go!" Love it! That's what I'll call it now.

When I first came across this philosophy, I found it very intriguing, so the very next practice, we practiced it. What happened is that I proved to the girls and myself that you score roughly 65% of the time. I'll take those odds any day!

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Ground ball go, gee what a concept lol. I have a few rules that I follow, never get thrown out when you are behind, don't run into a tag, among others, that factor into my thinking. Second and third with no outs is different than second and third with one out. If you are ahead in the game it is different than if you are losing by a run or two or even tied. What inning are you in? Ball back to pitcher, come on. Make the pitcher make a throw to first base. Who's kidding who? That's rec ball stuff. It depends on the details and flow of the game. Sometimes I tell the runner on third to go on the ground anywhere in the middle of the field. If it's hit to third you are a dead out. Just because Murphy has a rule I wouldn't necessarily treat it as gospel.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
It's not rec ball stuff, FP. Go back and read the original post on page 1 of this thread.

With runners at 2B and 3B, it's "ground ball go" until the coach says otherwise.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Definitely an interesting topic. We often practice something like this for defensive purposes. Our theory is that if someone wants to give us an out, take it. That said, I have also seen many cases where this strategy could work. I consider myself aggressive but must admit I would allow game situation, number of outs, speed of runners, etc. to dictate the decision.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I think the point that's being missed here by some is that if the runner at 3B takes off once the ball is hit down, she will arrive at home before the batter/runner reaches 1B. Further, if the ball is fielded by the infield, the sure out is at 1B and in the defender's mind, the runner at 3B doesn't have to go. Seeing her going or hearing she's going and the defender has to throw where she's less accustom to throwing upon fielding the ball. Given the runner at 3B will get home before the batter/runner will hit first base, the defender is under more pressure to throw quickly and accurately.

We've practiced this enough to prove to the defense and offense (batter and runners on 2B and 3B) that it's most often harder to get the runner out at home than the batter/runner at 1B.

On a grounder, the runners at 2B and 3B "GO!" If there are two outs, it's probably over anyway with an out at 1B. If there are less than two outs, odds of scoring are good, but if an out is made at home, you end up with runners at 2B (batter/runner advances all the way to 2B) and 3B--same situation to do it again.

I think the key here is getting the runners to TAKE OFF and run like hell the instant the ball is down. This is often the hardest part. Indecisiveness in the players in this play will lead to outs where outs shouldn't have happened.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2011
Doug, I agree entirely. I coach it and I think the great thing is much of the indecisiveness is taken away because it's an automatic read. It's often my most experienced players who struggle with not being decisive because it's counterintuitive to them to run from third on a comebacker back to the circle.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
One thing I have stolen from football is practicing offense against defense during team practices. The HC is very aggressive with running and I tend to focus on the defense. So while he is getting the runners to take extra bases at every opportunity, I am trying to get the defense prepared for that mentality and ultimately stop it (whether that is 1st to 3rd, 2nd to home, whatever). I do find this thread to be very interesting, so it is something we will attempt to replicate at practice, and see how it works. The benefit to the offense is the potential to score a run if the defense isn't prepared. If they are prepared, hopefully you have runners on 2nd and 3rd with one more out than you had before. As the defensive coach, if there are runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs, and the result of the play is runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out, I would be pleased with that outcome...

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
One thing I have stolen from football is practicing offense against defense during team practices. The HC is very aggressive with running and I tend to focus on the defense. So while he is getting the runners to take extra bases at every opportunity, I am trying to get the defense prepared for that mentality and ultimately stop it (whether that is 1st to 3rd, 2nd to home, whatever). I do find this thread to be very interesting, so it is something we will attempt to replicate at practice, and see how it works. The benefit to the offense is the potential to score a run if the defense isn't prepared. If they are prepared, hopefully you have runners on 2nd and 3rd with one more out than you had before. As the defensive coach, if there are runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs, and the result of the play is runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out, I would be pleased with that outcome...

When we've practiced this, it seems to work best (for the runners) when the runners are smart, not necessarily the fastest. It's the indecisiveness of the runners that will end up with the runner being out at home and the fans in the stands wondering what the heck the coach just had the runners do.

Sadly, we have a heck of a lot of indecisiveness on our inexperienced team, making me look foolish quite often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802