Runner on First Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2021
Hi Everyone:

I have a rules question, I have been trying to get answered for the last 2 years of coaching. As I grew up playing baseball not softball some of my rules understanding are slightly different.

My question is in regards to the force out rule at 2nd base with a runner on first.

Situation: Runner on first less than two outs. Ball is hit to the right side and first base touches first base first and then throws to second.

In Baseball the runner is no longer in a force situation and must be tagged out at second. Is the rule the same in Softball, I've looked through USSA rules and NFHS rules and can't find any specific details on it.

Thanks for the help.

May 24, 2016
Hi Everyone:

I have a rules question, I have been trying to get answered for the last 2 years of coaching. As I grew up playing baseball not softball some of my rules understanding are slightly different.

My question is in regards to the force out rule at 2nd base with a runner on first.

Situation: Runner on first less than two outs. Ball is hit to the right side and first base touches first base first and then throws to second.

In Baseball the runner is no longer in a force situation and must be tagged out at second. Is the rule the same in Softball, I've looked through USSA rules and NFHS rules and can't find any specific details on it.

Thanks for the help.
The Force is off! Runner must be tagged! It is in the NFHS Case Book!

Oct 24, 2010
b/c you mentioned NFHS:

Definitions of a force play: 2-24-1 and 2. Runner is out on a force play: 8-6-2

Feb 13, 2021
MI
And for USSSA

Rule 8.18.M Any runner is out when the runner:
m. Fails to reach the next base before a fielder either tags the runner out, or holds the ball while touching such base, after the runner has been forced from the base occupied because the batter became a runner. EXCEPTION: No runner may be forced out if a runner who follows in the batting order is first put out, including a batter-runner who is out for an infield fly.

Emphasis added.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee