Runner on 3b and batter walks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not sure if you've ever coached 9/10 year olds. There is a point where their brains can't handle more. Granted all girls/kids are different, but when you're still working on "running on everything with 2 outs" and "how to tag up at third base" and how 2b covers first on a bunt... well you leave things like trick plays on defense when you have runner on third for later.

Too many coaches (we've all seen them) are trying to teach advanced stuff way too early. I get it, I went down that path a bit. It's fun to think of 8 year olds turning a 6-4-3 double play. But in reality, you quickly learn that simply getting the force at second is a huge accomplishment at that age.
Prepare 10u for 12u
Talking about educating young players to the expectations in the game.
Goals. They can understand,
Step by step.

Yes have experience with little kiddo's.
They are good learners!
Best time to educate and develop without pre-set bad habits!

Work with catchers and often hear how defense is not ready
for throws. Volunteer time to help instruct teams to train to the next level. Reacting to plays.
My goal with catchers is developing the same game instincts to throw immediately
that all players need.
Catchers have to learn to throw to a spot when their teammate is not at the bag or even looking at them.
( the catchers cannot wait for their teammates to figure out the learning curve while they are developing instinct to fire the ball)
Same with all defensive
players!!!

Its really a shame when a catcher moves up to 12u and their teammates are still behind in the learning curve
reacting to plays.

If 10u players are not given the opportunity to learn how the game is really played.
By 12u they can be behind in the learning curve.

Unfortunetly sometimes coaches underestimate the potential of young players being able to understand strategy.
They can understand !!

Hopefully we can plan, teach, coach to the next level.

Last edited:
Did the rules change I thought the lookback rule started once the batter runner stopped. they can go half way and stop then return to first base, because rule starts once the runner stops and has to make a decision to advance or go back. at the same rule the runner on third doesn’t have to return to base until that same stop by batter runner. There is only one rule start not 1 for 3rd base runner and 1 for batter runner

Oct 4, 2018
Prepare 10u for 12u
Talking about educating young players to the expectations in the game.
Goals. They can understand,
Step by step.

Yes have experience with little kiddo's.
They are good learners!
Best time to educate and develop without pre-set bad habits!

Work with catchers and often hear how defense is not ready
for throws. Volunteer time to help instruct teams to train to the next level. Reacting to plays.
My goal with catchers is developing the same game instincts to throw immediately
that all players need.
Catchers have to learn to throw to a spot when their teammate is not at the bag or even looking at them.
( the catchers cannot wait for their teammates to figure out the learning curve while they are developing instinct to fire the ball)
Same with all defensive
players!!!

Its really a shame when a catcher moves up to 12u and their teammates are still behind in the learning curve
reacting to plays.

If 10u players are not given the opportunity to learn how the game is really played.
By 12u they can be behind in the learning curve.

Unfortunetly sometimes coaches underestimate the potential of young players being able to understand strategy.
They can understand !!

Hopefully we can plan, teach, coach to the next level.

You're talking passed me. I agree with most of what you say above (and I coach that way -- it's pretty simple stuff), but you don't seem to acknowledge what I'm saying.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Talking about it, of course. Expecting it to happen on the field, stupid.
Wow!
Thankfully i know learning and achievement at young levels does happen!
Glad to be a part of it!
Good Luck!

May 20, 2015
my only issue is we see umpires not immediately enforce the lookback on the runner at 3rd as soon as the batter runner touches 1b.......beyond that we handled with 2b up in the baseline, ball back to circle immediately, P at back of circle watching runners.....we haven't had a team try it on us since early 14u

and we have had 5 different plays for 1st & 3rd steals since 12u ;)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Did the rules change I thought the lookback rule started once the batter runner stopped. they can go half way and stop then return to first base, because rule starts once the runner stops and has to make a decision to advance or go back. at the same rule the runner on third doesn’t have to return to base until that same stop by batter runner. There is only one rule start not 1 for 3rd base runner and 1 for batter runner

I think I am answering what you are asking here:

- Not sure what you mean by 'go half way' - that is not part of the rule. Maybe what is below covers it.
- The Look Back Rule is NOT ON until the batter-runner touches first; once that happens the LBR starts - if the batter runner goes through first or starts to go to second; that is not relevant.
- Once the LBR is on, runners are independent and it doesn't matter what other runners are doing; they can continue in the direction they are going and they can change direction once.

Feb 20, 2020
Boston
So I guess the question is would my hidden ball trick work and get both runners out of they hesitate while the pitcher is on the mound with the ball

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You're talking passed me. I agree with most of what you say above (and I coach that way -- it's pretty simple stuff), but you don't seem to acknowledge what I'm saying.
Clarify then ?
Nice to read you agree with part of my post!!
Would like to read an explanation of why you say having an expectation on the field stupid?

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So I guess the question is would my hidden ball trick work and get both runners out of they hesitate while the pitcher is on the mound with the ball

As a hypothetical situation, you would only get one out. When you call LBR it is an immediate dead ball and if multiple runners were in a LBR it would be the umpire's judgment which runner was the first violator and was out.

Hopefully just a hypothetical - it all sounds very bush league. I wouldn't do it as a coach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812