Runner on 3b and batter walks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Perfect, thank you for the reply. I just assume it will happen in a game for us at some point, so just wanted to be clear. So if the runner on 3rd stays put physically on third base they are safe not doing anything. After the BR runner crosses first can the R3 wait a bit until BR creeps halfway and then take off for home? Or has their action of staying on 3rd restricted them from doing anything until the pitcher makes a move for BR going to 2nd?

You answered your own question. ;)

May 29, 2015
Verbiage by organization:

USA Softball: “immediately return or attempt to advance”

USSSA: “immediately move directly back to the last base touched or attempt to advance”

NFHS: “immediately return to the base or attempt to advance”

NCAA: “immediately and directly go forward or go back”

Oct 4, 2018
Not a dumb question at all ... and honestly many umpires struggle with this rule.

My process:

Watch the runner touch first base.
Assess what she is going to do.
Look at runner on third base. Is she moving, is she stationary?
Look at pitcher, assess what she is doing.
Making a play? The race is on.
No play? Look at runner on third ... is she immediately going or returning? No = DEAD BALL, OUT.

That gives the runner on third ample time to make a decision and fulfill her legal obligations.

Reading this makes me know I should never be an ump. I'd get it all wrong.

Oct 4, 2018
Nah ... you just have to build little checklists in your head. :p

Quite honestly I love the game and think about how I can stay involved after my girls are done with their journey. Parts of calling games would be great. But I've witnessed so much of the negative... coaching a young rec team makes more sense... for me.

Jan 22, 2020
How do you defend the batter from going right to second especially at the younger 12 and 14 levels. Just curious. Also had a question for the umps on here about this play regarding look back rule and motion
If you have one umpire it is more likely to see the runner on third not being called out on look back rule because his attention is on batter runner. In the age group you are talking about the batter runner will continue to second. If the pitcher makes no play on the batter runner then there are two possibilities. If the third base runner is off the base when the batter runner touches first she must return to third or head home. If she is standing still she can be called out . If the third base runner is on the bag when the batter runner touches first she cannot leave that base unless the pitcher makes a play on the runner. If the runner leaves her base she is out🤪

Mar 7, 2016
in over 100 games the past year and half I have NEVER seen the runner on 3B in a first n third situation get called for look back rule. Its like the umpire is only focused on the runner rounding 1B. In almost every circumstance the girl at third is creeping.

We have practiced defensively for this using our fastest and slowest girl running even going as far as telling the runner on 3rd not to leave until the throw. In 9/10 with pitcher at back of circle snapping to two for a tag and throwing home to turn it the girl at home is safe regardless of her speed.

so offensively we send them to two with eyes on pitcher if she throws they are taught to get in a pickle.

Defensively we teach the catchers to fake throw as hard as possible to second base and snap to third hoping to draw the runner off. We have found that works far more often than anything else as long as there is a good fake from the catcher. However its becoming so common of a play we also teach the girls offensively at third to stay still the fake/snap back is coming.

In games that are decided by 1-2 runs I hate taking an out to give up a run. Id rather have my pitcher work the zone high looking for pop ups/fly outs till you get two outs.

Oct 4, 2018
in over 100 games the past year and half I have NEVER seen the runner on 3B in a first n third situation get called for look back rule. Its like the umpire is only focused on the runner rounding 1B. In almost every circumstance the girl at third is creeping.

We have practiced defensively for this using our fastest and slowest girl running even going as far as telling the runner on 3rd not to leave until the throw. In 9/10 with pitcher at back of circle snapping to two for a tag and throwing home to turn it the girl at home is safe regardless of her speed.

so offensively we send them to two with eyes on pitcher if she throws they are taught to get in a pickle.

Defensively we teach the catchers to fake throw as hard as possible to second base and snap to third hoping to draw the runner off. We have found that works far more often than anything else as long as there is a good fake from the catcher. However its becoming so common of a play we also teach the girls offensively at third to stay still the fake/snap back is coming.

In games that are decided by 1-2 runs I hate taking an out to give up a run. Id rather have my pitcher work the zone high looking for pop ups/fly outs till you get two outs.

Nice post. Thanks for sharing real life experience with this.

Dec 23, 2017
New York
This wouldn't really work, the BR will run and stop at first, as soon as the 1B throws it back to the pitcher, the 2B will take off.

Teams usually just stop the BR at first, then have her steal on next pitch. Almost impossible to have a 1st and 3rd situation with less than two outs, unless your best contact hitter is up next, the BR will make the turn, or steal on the next pitch.
I have seen it work at the college level, but what do I know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812