Runner on 3b and batter walks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
In 14U and 16U we had a catcher with a rocket arm and she was very good at selling the fake throw to second. She nailed multiple runners in games quite often. If the runner at third leaned toward home on the fake throw she was in danger of not being able to get back to the base.

this is the strategy we use also, my catcher has a cannon but struggles to sell the fake. Its pretty comical when she fakes and nobody moves and you hear me tell across the field "no Oscar for you this week". Most are afraid of accidentally letting go during a fake to really sell it.

Jul 22, 2015
I have often seen teams spend a good deal of practice time on preventing the runner from going 1st to 3rd. Then, they also spend a great deal of effort during the game defending the runner going from 1st to 3rd on the walk, only to then allow them to steal without a throw on the next pitch. My point is, If you're ever going to just give them the base then you may as well give it to them on the first try. On the other hand, if you ever intend to go for the out, I'd try to get it on the first try as well. At lower levels with 0 or 1 outs, I'd trade the out for the run all day.

Oct 4, 2018
I have often seen teams spend a good deal of practice time on preventing the runner from going 1st to 3rd. Then, they also spend a great deal of effort during the game defending the runner going from 1st to 3rd on the walk, only to then allow them to steal without a throw on the next pitch. My point is, If you're ever going to just give them the base then you may as well give it to them on the first try. On the other hand, if you ever intend to go for the out, I'd try to get it on the first try as well. At lower levels with 0 or 1 outs, I'd trade the out for the run all day.

Happened again for us this weekend.

Runner on 3rd, walked the batter. Batter just waltzed to second and we gunned her out. At 10U, we'll trade that run for an out all day long. Much rather have the out and bases cleared than runner on 2nd and 3rd.

Funny thing, the ump called her safe. She was out by 10 steps and the batter got up and left the field. The ump then yelled "Sorry, got that wrong. She's out."

*Shrug*

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse