Runner on 2nd signaling pitch location to batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Recognizing what pitch is being called....has nothing to do with WHO is calling the pitch....
It is HOW the pitch is called!
AKA WHAT SYSTEM
Catcher set up can play a role. Detecting that should be late, pitcher starting her motion. Even apon pitch being released.
Batter may get signal in or out.
They shouldnt know
Up
Down
Screw/ Curve (lefty/righty)
Change/off speed
**For these reasons
Hitters should learn to recognize pitching mechanics
Helps big time!

Never cared if runner on 2nd pointed.
Batter still has a lot to contend with.

BACK PICK....just sayin' ;)

It seems in college or mlb would hope they have expertise talented coaches and scouting. With dedicated pitching coaches knowing the bullpen.

In travel ball can be either
Coach or catcher.
In some cases pitcher can shake off whats called.
Catchers here in so cal in h.s. recognize players from travel...and some do get to call pitches.

Rec really? Roll dice, flip a coin, find the plate please :)

Heres a tidbit on batter reaction time

Screenshot_2020-02-05-11-25-35-1.png

Last edited:
My 2cts we are just getting out of 12u I hated 2b sign stealing to batter because we had a weak catcher. It showed how much we needed to up our game. However it forced us to up our game with signs so resulted in us growing faster and more knowledgeable. As far catcher calling pitches or pitcher shaking off it would depend on the individual. We have been through a couple coaches that had no clue about pitch calling. So expecting a young girl to master it would take an exceptional student. It is definitely an art of observation that has to happen before batter gets into the box. So I feel we should teach what to look for and how to call pitches. I have 1 catcher where I call the pitch and if she sees something obvious or knows that batter she will give me the hand and I let her have that batter. Next batter she goes with my pitch called, but I feel like she is learning. Other catcher is great but I’m lucky if she knows how many outs there are. So with all that said if teams or grandpa’s in the stands are stealing your signs or the way your catcher sets up they are doing you a favor and are politely telling you that you need to up your game because you are being way to obvious. When it happens don’t get mad just realize teams will find your weakness and when they do as a coach you have to strengthen that part your game. Its no different than going small ball against a team that can’t cover it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12