Runner on 2nd signaling pitch location to batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, I have to eat crow... it wasn't armbands, it was stealing a coaches sign after only "3 sequences" as they put it.... I blame my memory on my age.
Machine learning just creates a "map" between outputs and inputs. It would still be applicable with with numbers,letters,colors,etc. but would probably take too long to "train" for it to be usable.

Feb 26, 2018
I think with a number/color system it would take a little longer, since two or three different number combinations could mean the exact same thing. The app picking out the indicator is pretty huge, but you still have to hand jam the whole sequence in to get any useful data out of it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In order for this to be at thing you need a pitcher that can hit their spots 70% of the time AND you need a hitter that can receive and act on the information. Outside of the top levels of P5 schools this is a moot point. Certainly will not matter in HS or Travel Ball. The main benefit of this exercise is to get into the heads of the pitchers, coaches, and parents. As you can see from the responses in this thread in the context of getting in someones head it is pretty successful.

Ken Eriksen used to play these type of stupid games every time my DD pitched against USF. He would stand at 3rd and try and pick her grip and tell the hitter what he thought she was going to throw. Near end of her last game against them her Senior year, she looked over at at him and asked if he finnally figured out that she used the same grip for every pitch. He was not amused. :)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
I think it’s bushleague to actually steal signs BUT see plenty of teams that do the second base calling ...most of the time it’s not actual pitch sign stealing but catcher setting up too early - if the catcher sets up early then i think it’s fair game - catcher need to adjust and learn not to give it away

If it’s actual pitch stealing well .. Astros are poster children for bushleague... if I was a college coach seeing players steal signs I wouldn’t want them in my crew.. character does count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't want a kid on my team who WASN'T trying everything in their power to help the team and teammates. I'm not suggesting sending your grandpa over by the opposite dugout to eavesdrop, using apple watches, or cameras in centerfield. But if the other team isn't hiding signals, whether it's from the catcher to the pitcher, coach to the catcher, or 3rd base coach, you bet your a$$ I would want my team learning how to get that edge. Being smarter than your opponent is a key to success.

This is no different than a pitcher who is tipping pitches and/or easy to pick. I'm not going to tell hitters don't use that to your advantage because it's unfair she is giving it away... heck no.

Learning how to pick your opponent, recognize things from coaches, etc. is all part of making one's self a better player, even if not to make the same mistakes as your opponent.

Bill

Feb 18, 2014
Reading a pitcher is the real skill. We work hard to make sure that the stride on a changeup is the same as a fastball. One of DDs pitching coaches played fastpitch internationally, has a lot of experience and stories.
He told us about going up against a pitcher with a devastating riseball. Until someone picked up on the fact that prior to throwing it he tensed his forearm when he set his grip, people stopped swinging. Someone told him and after he started wearing a sleeve no one could read his riseball anymore.

Catchers should be calling the game anyway.

Jul 31, 2019
Reading a pitcher is the real skill. We work hard to make sure that the stride on a changeup is the same as a fastball. One of DDs pitching coaches played fastpitch internationally, has a lot of experience and stories.
He told us about going up against a pitcher with a devastating riseball. Until someone picked up on the fact that prior to throwing it he tensed his forearm when he set his grip, people stopped swinging. Someone told him and after he started wearing a sleeve no one could read his riseball anymore.

Catchers should be calling the game anyway.
Great story but disagree on the catchers calling the game comment at the end.

Jul 31, 2019
My opinion - There is so much more going on than just reading a batter or knowing what a pitcher can do. I think there is value in letting them take an inning here and there, or like a pitcher shaking a pitch if they see something to call a pitch, but there is enough to focus on in playing the game and executing. In addition, catching is both physically and mentally draining. Coaches are in a better position to be successful, year over year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802