Runner on 1st, Cover 3rd when...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Encourage practice our hussle!

Like this to defend 3rd base

With a Runner on first.
Batter bunts, or slow dibbler down left side.
Third base comes forward to field
Catcher goes out to field
InsantaneousIy
"Yelling whos got the play"
is heard
When 3rd is pulled away from their base.
Catcher covers 3rd!
3rd covers home!

Simply to note~
There are other ways folks may choose to cover 3rd
in this situation.

Prefer catcher over the pitcher.
Why?
For every reason the catcher is a catcher, not a pitcher! ;)

Here are a few pic's of a tag out at 3rd.
This is against Arizona.
Can see me in background already sprinting toward 3rd.
As runner approaches rounding 2nd.
(sorry tv camara was late at 3rd on receiving the throw from first)
Throw at 3rd was on target.
Runner made a HUGE hook slide/dive attempt.
Made it a diving tag out!
Umpire Jack Atton ran down the line.

GO DEFENSE!

20200902_121651-1.jpg20200902_121917-1.jpg20200902_121932-1-1.jpg20200902_121935-1.jpg20200902_121824-1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
Prefer LF to cover if F5 can’t get back (or F6 reads no play / runner blowing past second and gets there).. Because if that throw gets away from a C at 3rd, now we have a sprint b/w runner and F3 (who just made the throw) to get to home. No bueno.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Prefer LF to cover if F5 can’t get back (or F6 reads no play / runner blowing past second and gets there).. Because if that throw gets away from a C at 3rd, now we have a sprint b/w runner and F3 (who just made the throw) to get to home. No bueno.
Do see sometimes coaches have LF cover 3rd. Who covers that overthrow?

After 3rd fields bunt.
They immdediatly cover home plate.
No foot race to cover home plate.
LF still has back up behind 3rd.
( in either case the foot race is to cover 3rd !)
Decision needs to be immediately!

*There are options which make strategy fun!:)

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
We absolutely have the Catcher cover 3rd when the 3B fields a bunt. The catcher is already moving in that direction. Plus this allows the LF to be a backup. There is also somewhat of an intimidation factor of having a catcher with equipment on covering 3B.

Mar 6, 2016
I've seen multiple ways in both baseball and softball, all can work depending on situation.

I've coached and seen 4 main ways:
1. The "wheel" play as I've always called it from baseball days where the middle infield "rolls to the right" SS rolls and covers 3rd as 3B breaks in to field bunt. 2B rolls right and covers 2nd and 1B stays home and P covers 1b side of line

2. Catcher runs and covers 3B as you described, but I've seen this get beat if C is slow to react or just plain slow. lol SS covers 2nd

3. Pitcher goes over to cover 3rd as 3B crashes and fields bunt. SS covers 2nd 2B covers 1st and 1B is in crashing.

4. Corners in - if runner on 2nd base only or on 1st and 2nd): corners are in selling out for bunt, SS cheats a bit toward 3rd for possible steal or fake bunt steal and to cover 3rd on bunt. 2B covers 1st. You are going for force play ea runner at 3rd or get out at 1st.

All have worked, depends on players abilities and situation of game. We use colors or number call for our bunt D. Each color = different bunt D.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
We also have the catcher cover 3rd base when the 3rd baseman fields the bunt with a runner on 1st base. The reasons for this are

1- catcher already has momentum in that direction.
2- Catcher has all their equipment on, which will protect her more than the pitcher covering 3rd base.
3- I don't want my pitcher covering 3rd base on this play to avoid injury.
4- It is less likely that the 3rd base coach sees the catcher heading towards third base, especially at the younger ages where the coaches have not been around the block as much.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
We also have the catcher cover 3rd base when the 3rd baseman fields the bunt with a runner on 1st base. The reasons for this are

1- catcher already has momentum in that direction.
2- Catcher has all their equipment on, which will protect her more than the pitcher covering 3rd base.
3- I don't want my pitcher covering 3rd base on this play to avoid injury.
4- It is less likely that the 3rd base coach sees the catcher heading towards third base, especially at the younger ages where the coaches have not been around the block as much.
:) in the post of pictures ...the 3rd base coach actually said to the runner
" i didnt think the catcher would be here"...
Silly coach ;)

Would prefer not to have pitchers cover bases either.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
:) in the post of pictures ...the 3rd base coach actually said to the runner
" i didnt think the catcher would be here"...
Silly coach ;)

Would prefer not to have pitchers cover bases either.
From the offensive perspective - Have you ever put the runner at first in motion and then bunted? It's a great way to get the runner to 3rd. The only downside is a popped up bunt that is caught. I'll take my chances we will get the bunt down.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
From the offensive perspective - Have you ever put the runner at first in motion and then bunted? It's a great way to get the runner to 3rd. The only downside is a popped up bunt that is caught. I'll take my chances we will get the bunt down.
That is a strategy best applied after a good assessment of the other teams defense!

Yes, have done this.
However
As the batter who bunted
i would slide and take out whom ever was covering first so they couldnt throw to 3rd.
(of which probably isnt allowed now ;))

With competent defense the runner from first should not beat a defender covering 3rd,
And not beat the throw.
That said
*as an offensive strategy it does put pressure on the defense!!!

I do like strategy!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802