Runner interference.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
NSA 10u game. Bases loaded two outs. Hard hit ground ball was hit like a rope over second base and went to the fence.

Shortstop playing playing in and in the baseline from second to third, and after the ball passes over second base, decides to move towards the ball. The ball had passed behind the runner from second, who then runs straight towards third and collodes with shortstop about 10-12 feet from the bag. (The girl runs like a gazelle.)

No call is made and three runs score with batter ending on third. Other teams coach complains and base umpire then calls interference and game over.

I am a baseball guy, and in baseball once it passed by her, she can't be interfered with. Further, in baseball, there is some judgement as to whether a player can actually make a play. There was no way she was ever going to feild the ball as it was over second base, and it had passed her by.

In baseball if you are calling interfence you kill the ball immediately, announce the interference, and bang the runner out, you don't wait until a coach complains and change your call.

What is the rule in fastpitch? From what I can find she has to be able to potentially make a play. Being thrity feet from the ball and having it whiz by second base before she even moves, it can no longer be called interference and should have really been a delayed obstruction called. If in the umpires mind it was interference why wasn't the play killed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
There has to be a play to interfer with. If your description of play is accurate there is no way it is interference with the ball that far away and past the fielder. It should have been an obstruction call on f6

Oct 24, 2010
Other team is the defense? Comp would be right. If the offense asked for interference, looks like they got it. :p

Feb 15, 2017
Other team is the defense? Comp would be right. If the offense asked for interference, looks like they got it. :p
Other team was on defense and asked for it. Umpire hadn't said a word and both teams were walking off the field

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28