Runner interference or clean

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2018
"Teach the SS to get the cheap out by sticking her glove/making contact with the runner."
That would possibly be obstruction.

May 20, 2015
wasn't this an NFHS point of emphasis this year? that they were calling the interference w/o contact just for obstructing the vision/disrupting timing of the fielder when the runner flashes in front of them, that there did NOT have to be contact?

we were told by at least one crew early in the HS season last spring that it was lol

Jun 20, 2015
teach SS to go get the darn ball, DO NOT STOP TO AVOID CONTACT WITH THE RUNNER. make the umps job easy to see the interference. Force that runner to go behind them (toward LF) to avoid the interference call.

May 23, 2018
Thanks for the response. What if the runner doesn't stop and goes straight to 3rd and the SS is playing behind ? Same call because of vision impairment?

I am curious. Obviously there are umpires out there calling this interference. This is great discussion for winter meetings!

There are factors such as how far the runner is in front of the shortstop, was the runner in a direct path to third base, and whether or not the shortstop was approaching the baseline that’s a runner creates between second and third base. Normally, it’s not an inference if the runner is not stopping and jumps over the ball. The trickier part to determine whether the runners actions or in actions created The interference. Sometimes the runner tries to do the right thing but actually creates an interference by stopping. The old adage holds true: never guess and out unless you are sure of it. I look at whether or not the shortstop had to stop or pause her break on the ball. There’s no substitute for common sense.

I really disagree with the notion that the shortstop try and create contact. You’re opening yourself up to an obstruction call.
The tougher call is when the infield is playing in and the runner is an actually in back of the shortstop and the ball actually hits her. It’s not an interference if it passes a player, other than the pitcher, and no other player could make a play on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
teach SS to go get the darn ball, DO NOT STOP TO AVOID CONTACT WITH THE RUNNER. make the umps job easy to see the interference. Force that runner to go behind them (toward LF) to avoid the interference call.
My DD was playing 2nd with a runner on first. The ball was hit to her and she was charging in when the runner, who was built like a linebacker, was charging towards 2nd and DD pulled up since she would of been pancaked by the runner. No interference was called, and the coach was berating her that she should let the runner barrel her over to get the call. I waited till next practice and talked to the coach about what he said. Call me soft or whatever, but I told him, like I told DD, never run in front of a runner going full speed just to get a ball, the risk of injury is not worth it, it was a 16u pool game, not a college game or pro game.
That’s why as an umpire I’ll always call hinderance if I see it, contact not necessary.

Jul 27, 2021
My DD was playing 2nd with a runner on first. The ball was hit to her and she was charging in when the runner, who was built like a linebacker, was charging towards 2nd and DD pulled up since she would of been pancaked by the runner. No interference was called, and the coach was berating her that she should let the runner barrel her over to get the call. I waited till next practice and talked to the coach about what he said. Call me soft or whatever, but I told him, like I told DD, never run in front of a runner going full speed just to get a ball, the risk of injury is not worth it, it was a 16u pool game, not a college game or pro game.
That’s why as an umpire I’ll always call hinderance if I see it, contact not necessary.
Yes, this all day long everyday.

Too many (coaches and umps) can't make an interference call without contact. A running person with a helmet should not be running into a stationary person facing a different direction.

To many coaches and spectators still think that its ok to have "trucking" and football in the game of Baseball/Softball.

May 23, 2018
Absolutely correct! It isn't worth an injury trying to conjure something up. As an umpire, I really look askance at someone trying to"buy" an interference call. You'll see this more often when a girl bunts along the first baseline. Coaches have been teaching girls to just drill the runner in the back. My problem with this, other than an irresponsible coach who would risk injury to his player, is that it's not a bright-line call. If the girl is partially in the running lane and the ball hits her outside the running lane, I won't give the call.

May 23, 2018
Trying to understand a call and I know you all will give me the right answer. Runner on 1 and 2. Batter hits ball towards ss which is going to make play on ball. Runner on second runs in front of and almost runs over ss. SS was making play on ball. She avoids collision and ballrolls in outfield. Two runs score. Should there been interference called on runner or not. Thanks
Depends. You need to determine whether or not the fielder was hindered.

Jan 31, 2011
The trouble is consistency! I never want a player to put themselves in harms way, but how do you coach this play? My fielder pulls up and the umpire says no interference. You can argue all day long but its a judgement call. Umpires tell ya to sit down. No call. Then what? You tell your fielder that next time you have to make contact. Then there is no doubt. Its unfortunate. Game importance doesn't work. The trouble is normally a kid can't turn it on or turn it off depending on the game importance. You can say its only pool play, but that is what you are teaching -avoid the collision. Then in a big game the kid pulls up again, the ump blows the call, and there you go. Now there is a runner in scoring position.

Aug 25, 2019
The trouble is consistency! I never want a player to put themselves in harms way, but how do you coach this play? My fielder pulls up and the umpire says no interference. You can argue all day long but its a judgement call. Umpires tell ya to sit down. No call. Then what? You tell your fielder that next time you have to make contact. Then there is no doubt. Its unfortunate. Game importance doesn't work. The trouble is normally a kid can't turn it on or turn it off depending on the game importance. You can say its only pool play, but that is what you are teaching -avoid the collision. Then in a big game the kid pulls up again, the ump blows the call, and there you go. Now there is a runner in scoring position.
You're damn right i tell my DD to avoid a collision, maybe you don't mind your DD getting her skull cracked by a runners helmet, (hey, she got the interference call!) I'll be happy my DD goes home in one piece.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802