runner hit with batted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
had a new play happen yesterday and wondered if any know the rule for this...

1 out. runner at 3b. Batter hits a one hopper towards 3b....hits the runner who clearly was leading off into fair territory. obviously she is out. BUT they put the batter at 1b.

The ball had not passed our fielder on 3b when hitting the runner.

Is batter out? Foul ball? single?

It was an exposure scrimmage on college campus and the college players were umping for us, so I was like "whatever, play ball". not going to waste time on this. But would like to know the rule if by fluke this play ever happens again.

Mar 1, 2013
From your description, the correct call was made. Speaking USA (as that is the sanction I call), Rule 8.7.K
The runner is out..
"When a runner is struck with a fair untouched batted ball while not in contact with a base and before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher, or if it passes an infielder and another fielder has an opportunity to make an out."

So you have the out. Read the effect for what to do with the batter-runner
Effect:
1. The ball is dead
2. The runner is out
3. The batter-runner is awarded first base
4. Runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

Without access to their rulebooks (or searching for them), I'm going by memory to say that all of the other sanctions treat this situation the same way. If not, someone will be along to correct me :)

Jun 20, 2015
well, judging by the yelling from the coaches.....

and in fairness it was a pretty hard hit ball, but both feet were inside the baseline and she got hit in the upper leg area.

Jun 11, 2013
I don't care how hard it was hit, you learn at 8U to take the lead in foul. I just am amazed a player at that level would be in fair.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
...well there are coaches that teach runners leading off 3rd to turn field side and go back to 3rd base in fair territory...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
absolutely back to base in fair....But she had not turned to return to base yet.
Was just saying that dumb things are at times encouraged...
That runner did a dumb thing but it may have been encouraged.

*Edit dumb things poor choice of verbage.
Rather
Some coaches teach/require things that other coaches wouldnt.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If she is on the base she has some protection, once she leaves base not so much if she is in fair territory.

In general batter and someone on 3rd need to get into foul territory as soon as possible.

Eddleg layed it out well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28