Runner & Batter-runner both out on runner interference call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2017
We had a similair play this weekend but our ss fielded the ball and threw the girl out at first and the umps would only give us the interference. They said the ball was dead on the interference call so it did not matter she threw the runner oit at first.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
We had a similair play this weekend but our ss fielded the ball and threw the girl out at first and the umps would only give us the interference. They said the ball was dead on the interference call so it did not matter she threw the runner oit at first.

Your umpires were correct.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Ours was similar but a flare pop up and runner intentionally blocked the ss view. Umps called int on runner. Pop up was caught and also called batter out

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Ours was similar but a flare pop up and runner intentionally blocked the ss view. Umps called int on runner. Pop up was caught and also called batter out

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

This situation is covered under a different part of the interference rule...I can't give you a cite right now as I do not have the book handy. USA SB rules say that a runner that interferes with a fielder attempting to catch a fly ball (fair or foul) that can be caught easily can result in two outs, the runner and the batter-runner.

NCAA has the same rule, but I don't believe any other rule set does. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This situation is covered under a different part of the interference rule...I can't give you a cite right now as I do not have the book handy. USA SB rules say that a runner that interferes with a fielder attempting to catch a fly ball (fair or foul) that can be caught easily can result in two outs, the runner and the batter-runner.

NCAA has the same rule, but I don't believe any other rule set does. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

USA 8.7.J.3.f

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom