run rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
I'm a new coach for a 12 and under girls softball team, most of the rules I need to go by are from the high school rule book

I looked to see if I can find anything in the high school rule book about how many runs can be scored in one inning.We played last night and scored over 20 runs in a inning I felt bad for the other team. Is no protection of this in this age group, you can keep going and going? it will be something I need to know if this comes around and we are the other team
thanks
Herb

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Take this up with your local league. No, I do not know of any state that has run limits in HS. But, your team is 12, not HS.

A league I work with here uses 4 runs per inning, before you change sides. I would like to see it a couple more than that.

Sometimes a coach that is running all over a team like you were, will have a runner leave the base early (Out!) or you might have to ask your own kid to strike out. Outs can be manufactured to help the other team.

Did you substitute liberally and try other pitchers?

May 7, 2008
I'm a new coach for a 12 and under girls softball team, most of the rules I need to go by are from the high school rule book

I looked to see if I can find anything in the high school rule book about how many runs can be scored in one inning.We played last night and scored over 20 runs in a inning I felt bad for the other team. Is no protection of this in this age group, you can keep going and going? it will be something I need to know if this comes around and we are the other team
thanks
Herb

Herb:

High School Rules are usually the same as ASA Rules. The Run Ahead Rule (or Mercy Rule) states: FOR FAST PITCH -15 after three innings; 12 after four innings; and 8 after five innings. FOR MODERATE PITCH - 15 after three innings; 10 after five innings. SLOW PITCH - 20 after three innings; 15 after three innings; 10 after five innings. (ASA Rule 9A 1,2,3 expanded 4/08)

Ang

May 7, 2008
We were vistors at bat first left the bases loaded, no runs scored. The home team got up and were out 123, we got up to bat again and scored 23 runs, mostly on walks, they changed the pitcher 3 times, we were at bat almost 45 minutes, the game didn't count since it was our first game this year we have 2 more like this then they start counting.
When we finally got out, I kept our pitcher in the game she walked 3 batters then the next girl hit a line drive to the 2nd baseman, she caught it touched 2nd base to get that girl out then the pitcher threw it to first base and that girl was out as well for not tagging up. The umpire then called the game as it was close to the 1 & 15 min. time limit

May 7, 2008
Herb:

High School Rules are usually the same as ASA Rules. The Run Ahead Rule (or Mercy Rule) states: FOR FAST PITCH -15 after three innings; 12 after four innings; and 8 after five innings. FOR MODERATE PITCH - 15 after three innings; 10 after five innings. SLOW PITCH - 20 after three innings; 15 after three innings; 10 after five innings. (ASA Rule 9A 1,2,3 expanded 4/08)

Ang

Thank you that is what I thought but was hoping I was missing something

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Here in Illinois, the HS rule is 10 runs ahead after 5 innings. In league play at the 12U and up levels, they follow ASA rules normally.

May 7, 2008
Sounds like your team should start playing travel ball. We decided a couple of years ago when that was our experience that our children (and others on our team) have outgrown rec ball, and my daughter played for her middle school this year. She was more frustrated in school ball than rec ball and asked if she had to play MS ball next year. The only thing I told her is that when you play for your school you are playing for something bigger than a team of parents...you are representing the whole school and that is a privilege. Whatever she decides to do next year I will support. She loves travel ball.

Ang

May 5, 2008
Like the others said, high school normally doesn't limit runs per inning (unless it's pre-season and we're running games in a "scrimmage format").

However, the 12U ASA league here does have a 3 run cap per inning (per team) during the regular season.

May 9, 2008

thanks
Herb
I am a second year coach from MN. I coach 7/8th grade girls and our run rule is 6 runs or 10 batters, which ever comes first. It works really well, it keeps the innings moving and the game more fair.
Katie M

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28