run rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2008
Northern Ontario
Most local leagues (at least in Ontario) have a mercy rule although not a specific inning cap. Generally, we have a mercy rule of 10-15 runs ahead of the other team after 4 innings. However, if the other team has started to rally in the 4th inning then the umpire has discretion on whether or not to continue the game after this point.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
One rule in Canada for rec league... 5 runs cap per inning except the last one which is open inning (no cap). That limits the number of runs possible.

I felt it was a very good rule when i coached years ago at that level. That would allow you to dominate an opponent but still limit the endless innings.

Marc

May 13, 2008
So Cal
"Ketchup" Rule

Our local Rec league uses the 5 runs per inning rule for all divisions up to 12u, as others have mentioned here, but includes a catch-up provision where if a trailing team is behind by more than 5 runs, they can continue to score until they "catch up" and tie the game.

May 13, 2008
Any Leagues In Miami??

I Used To Play In High School And College And Not I Am Looking To Get Back On A Team. I Just Don't Know Of Any Leagues In Miami, Does Anyone Know Of Any I Can Join??

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Runs per inning/game

Our league has a seven batter rule.......Each team will go 3 outs or seven batters, whichever comes first.

.......if 12 kids show up all 12 hit (if they are on the field or not). (Each kid sits out one inning if there are 12)

We play 4 innings (or 4 1/2) regardless of score and the game is conceded if one team has 10 more runs than the other.

Both teams may opt to play the entire game....or not.

May 12, 2008
I coach at the Junior High level. When you meet at the plate with the umpire with the other coach you can ask for a 3 out or 5 run per inning rule. I think it helps keep the girls spirits up and keeps the game moving. That is my opion but some coaches dont think so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45