Run-Rule BLOWOUTS IN COLLEGE BALL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What the heck is up with so many run-rule blowouts in college ball?!

Not necessarily finding it good softball.
Well at least not competitive softball.
Anyone else observing this as missing the competitive mark?

#GO COMMENTS DFP

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
What the heck is up with so many run-rule blowouts in college ball?!

Not necessarily finding it good softball.
Well at least not competitive softball.
Anyone else observing this as missing the competitive mark?

#GO COMMENTS DFP
Yeah, I've seen this too. Even at the level school I play at, there are quite a few blowouts (we've been on the bad end of a few of them). I think there's something that's giving offenses a bit more of an advantage versus other years. Then again, I'm seeing an increase in strikeouts as well.

I agree it's not necessarily good for softball as a sport. But...there are plenty of people (me included) that like to see runs scored in bunches.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Hitters have gotten better. Smart coaches have employed blast motion, video, Oculus and a general better understanding of hitting.

The difference between a dominate pitcher and a very good pitcher may appear slight but with today's bats and with hitters swings getting more effective (mostly due to DFP Technical Hitting forum) the very good pitcher gets rocked.
Even the dominate pitchers that are slightly off their game can get rocked.

How many dominate D1 pitchers are there?
Now, how many dominate hitters are there?

May 27, 2013
It truly is a hitter’s game anymore. Seeing it at all levels of college SB right now. I’d also hate to see how it would go if teams relied on only one pitcher like they used to back in the day. Luckily, most schools now have a few that they use consistently.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
from the games I watched there was a big different in consistent pitching....at every level pitching is hard to come by.....
That and evidently there are more good hitters than there are average pitchers.😎

The teams with average hitters and average pitchers are definitely at a disadvantage.

Jun 26, 2019
When discussing lopsided home run numbers last year for one of the top ncaa teams there was discussion about approach, technical hitter mumbo jumbo, pitching being hard to come by and I said that everyone missed, and I will say it again: This is not a hitting vs pitching or coaching debate, this, imho, should be a recruiting debate. The other possibility that I would debate is that these blowouts are not due to a mismatch of talent, but a lack of mental toughness. Get down a few runs and everyone gives up.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
When discussing lopsided home run numbers last year for one of the top ncaa teams there was discussion about approach, technical hitter mumbo jumbo, pitching being hard to come by and I said that everyone missed, and I will say it again: This is not a hitting vs pitching or coaching debate, this, imho, should be a recruiting debate. The other possibility that I would debate is that these blowouts are not due to a mismatch of talent, but a lack of mental toughness. Get down a few runs and everyone gives up.
🙂🙂🙂 like this post so much I want to give it a hug 🤗

Excellent added perspective

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
What are you basing this on?

Edit: totally agree on your recruiting take.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017
This isn't unique to softball, or anything new. In all sports, at all levels, there have always been a lot of blowouts. That's just sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812