Rules understanding/clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Last night in my DD's 12U game, we had an issue come up that needed some clarification on the rules. Our starting pitcher sprained or broke her left hand while sliding into a base in the bottom of the first inning. She couldn't field or even hold a bat. League rules require all eligible players to bat in lineup (no option of just batting 9 with substitutes). Needless to say, she could not finish the game and was taken to hospital for x-rays. The ruling on the field was that an out would have to be recorded each time her spot in the lineup came up. Not having a rulebook for the team (and finding out today you can't just buy one from ASA, you need to go through the registration gymnastics), we yielded to the umpires ruling without argument.

My questions are:

What does the ASA rulebook say regarding this situation?

If the league rules require all eligible players present to bat, would it make sense for the league to adopt a rule that allows an injured players spot to be skipped without penalty to the team?

Any guidance or clarification provided is appreciated.

Thanks.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You need to talk to the head of your league. ASA does not bat all players on the team.

I know that some local leagues, issue an out if you are only playing 8 players, but you are saying that you had enough players and one had to leave do to injury.

That would be a rule made up by you local board.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, the league rule is that all eligible players have to bat? That is, if you have 12 players, then you have to bat 12 players, right?

The ASA rules are going to help much, since they don't provide for "everyone batting." Under the ASA rules, if you start a game with 9 players, and one gets injured and you have no substitutes, the game can continue with 8 players, but an out gets recorded for the injured player each time that spot comes up.

The intent of the rule is to make sure that a lesser player doesn't fake an injury in order to give the other players a chance to hit. I think the application of that rule in the context of "let everyone bat" is pretty silly.

What is more disturbing, in my opinion, is the coach for the other team and the umpire forgetting the purpose of these type of leagues. But, if you hang out at "the old ball park", you are going to meet all kinds of crazies.

JRW

Thanks for everyone's input. Your comments are inline with my thoughts. The "every player bats" is a definitely a local league rule. They have adopted some rules to enhance participation, safety, and to speed up play. The following is the excerpt from the local rules...

"The League will follow the Official ASA Playing Rules for 2008, with the following exceptions: ...

...All players present at the start of a game and eligible to play in that contest will be included in the batting order for the entire game. Eligible players not present at the start of the game will be added to the lineup in the last position in the batting order. Teams are entitled to free substitution at all defensive positions, including pitcher, for the entire game."

The reasoning for the rule makes sense to me. You would like to not have to have a rule to prevent faking of injuries but that is not always the case when untold riches and fame are on the line, so I see the necessity.

When I interpret the ASA rule as explained and combine that with the local league rule, I don't necessarily reach the conclusion reached by the umpire. The ASA rule is not applied because we still had 9 in our lineup and with the local rule that everyone bats, I reach a conclusion of skip her spot in the lineup, record no out, and play ball. To one of the other teams coaches credit, he was ready to do reach that same conclusion then the other coach came out and voiced her opinion that the ASA rule applied and ump agreed.

I definitely need to contact the league officials and have this rule clarified for the league coaches and umpires. As sluggers stated, application of the ASA rule in the context of "everyone bats" seems contradictory.

Thanks again.

Our pitcher fell during the last game of the pre-season tournament and twisted her ankle. We did not have a sub to put in for her. The other coach and ump made us take an out for each of her at-bats, and there were several. That game went into 2 extra innings and we lost by 1 run. It was complete insanity. I feel like if you have an injured player and no one to put in for her, exceptions should be made. In another game with this same team, the game went on and on and on - on a school night. The opposing team had players LEAVE the ballpark, which left them short a player, as well. Our coach did not make them take the out. Difference there, I guess, is that our coach is a fair and nice man. We wound up losing that game, as well, by 1 run. Our girls got in bed at midnight - none of us were dare going to leave the park. Oh well, so much for fairness!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Our pitcher fell during the last game of the pre-season tournament and twisted her ankle. We did not have a sub to put in for her. The other coach and ump made us take an out for each of her at-bats, and there were several. That game went into 2 extra innings and we lost by 1 run. It was complete insanity. I feel like if you have an injured player and no one to put in for her, exceptions should be made. In another game with this same team, the game went on and on and on - on a school night. The opposing team had players LEAVE the ballpark, which left them short a player, as well. Our coach did not make them take the out. Difference there, I guess, is that our coach is a fair and nice man. We wound up losing that game, as well, by 1 run. Our girls got in bed at midnight - none of us were dare going to leave the park. Oh well, so much for fairness!

It's not up to the coach or the umpire, it is the RULE.

Would you prefer the old rule? That would be if you did not have enough players, you forfeit the game REGARDLESS of the reason.

Since the league is amending the ASA rule, it seems they can amend again for this scenario.

It's simple, you bypass the injured player's position in the lineup without penalty, especially when you have enough players to continue.

Thanks for the clarification, MTR. Guess the umpire should have made us allow the other team to take the out when their players dropped like flies in the witching hour. Obviously our ball isn't as stringent - first coaches meeting, all agreed if only 8 showed to play, they could play without penalty...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28