Rules Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 8, 2008
Long Island, NY
Can someone explain if there is a Pony/ASA/NSA rule concerning the following.: Ground ball to 1st base the batter stops and backpeddles towards home to forced the 1stbaseman to come up to make the tag. 2 of my coaches say thats illegal stating they can stop but cannot backpeddle but I cannot find it in any rule book

Dec 3, 2008
This is illegal. The batter is out and if there are any runners on base they must return the base which they started. Your batter can stop and stand there, but the moment she steps backward the play is dead and all runners retreat to previous base.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Can someone explain if there is a Pony/ASA/NSA rule concerning the following.: Ground ball to 1st base the batter stops and backpeddles towards home to forced the 1stbaseman to come up to make the tag. 2 of my coaches say thats illegal stating they can stop but cannot backpeddle but I cannot find it in any rule book

2009 NSA Rulebook

RULE 8.7.h. (Batter-baserunner is out: ) When he/she moves back toward home plate to avoid or delay a tag by a fielder.
EFFECT: Sec. 7. (e-h), the ball is dead and the batter-runner
is out. Other baserunners must return to the last base legally
touched at the time of the illegal action.

Jan 15, 2009
Same rule for ASA ( I only have 2008 book with me )

Rule 8, Section 2, H.

The Batter Runner is out when the batter runner steps back toward home plate to avoid or delay a tag by a fielder EFFECT the ball is dead and the runner(s) must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

May 5, 2008
Not necessarily illegal, runners can do it, they're out as soon as they take that first step back. Check those runners though because often times this happens on a bunt. If you're corners are crashing and get the ball quick and things happen fast...check to see if the runners actually even reached the next base when she stepped back.

According to the rules stated above...the other runners shouldn't be allowed to continue to the next base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802