Rules Change

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Since when?

Last season NFHS removed the runner advancement part of an illegal pitch penalty. (I disagree with that decision, but that’s just me.)

Too early for the next season. New rule books typically don’t come out till after the first of the year.

That said, I read that NCAA is discussing a change which would require pitchers to take their signs on the rubber. They feel the advent of the wrist-cards has led to pitchers getting their sign behind the rubber (legal), then stepping up and going immediately into the pitch. (illegal). Current rule in most organizations allows the pitcher to take a sign behind, but then she/he must “simulate” taking a sign in the rubber to create a pause.

I don’t see any others changing that this quickly, but look for it (the pause) to possibly be a point of emphasis next year.

Nov 8, 2018
Since when?

Last season NFHS removed the runner advancement part of an illegal pitch penalty. (I disagree with that decision, but that’s just me.)

Too early for the next season. New rule books typically don’t come out till after the first of the year.

That said, I read that NCAA is discussing a change which would require pitchers to take their signs on the rubber. They feel the advent of the wrist-cards has led to pitchers getting their sign behind the rubber (legal), then stepping up and going immediately into the pitch. (illegal). Current rule in most organizations allows the pitcher to take a sign behind, but then she/he must “simulate” taking a sign in the rubber to create a pause.

I don’t see any others changing that this quickly, but look for it (the pause) to possibly be a point of emphasis next year.

Recent. As of 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
Since when?

Wasn’t sure the ncaa change went into effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 12, 2016
Is there access to the rule for pitchers that once they step onto the rubber that the hands must be separated but the ball can be in either the pitching hand or the glove? I don't have a rule book and Wednesday night the other team was complaining that my pitcher did not "present the ball" as it was in her glove. I know the rule, however did not have the rule book to show him. I was just wondering if there was a rule number or something I could use to find it

May 29, 2015
Is there access to the rule for pitchers that once they step onto the rubber that the hands must be separated but the ball can be in either the pitching hand or the glove? I don't have a rule book and Wednesday night the other team was complaining that my pitcher did not "present the ball" as it was in her glove. I know the rule, however did not have the rule book to show him. I was just wondering if there was a rule number or something I could use to find it

You are correct ... the ball can be in the hand or the glove as long as the hands are separate while stepping on the rubber. I should ask what rules do you play under (for the correct citation)?

“Presenting” is the pause once on the rubber (simulation of taking a sign), not actually showing the ball to the hitter like you are playing fetch with a dog. :p

May 29, 2015
This is from the 2016 NFHS book (it’s the last one I bought digitally and can copy and paste quickly :) )

Rule 6 Pitching
SECTION 1 PITCHING REGULATIONS (F.P.)
ART. 1 . . . Prior to starting the delivery (pitch), the pitcher shall take a position with the pivot foot on or partially on the top surface of the pitcher’s plate and the non-pivot foot in contact with or behind the pitcher’s plate. Both feet must be on the ground within or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate.
a. Prior to pitching, the pitcher must take a position with shoulders in line with first and third base with the ball in the glove or pitching hand, and with the hands separated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812