Rough start to my JV season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
We finally did play a game after 7 canceled. Won the first then we dropped the next 3.
This is hard season for me 14 girls only 4 have ever played before.
yesterday we played the best JV team I have ever saw Lost 5-0.
We managed 4 hits and left 6 stranded. Their pitcher was better than lots of varsity level pitchers. Their entire team was made up of travel ball players that have been together since 7 years old, Thats hard to compete with when only a month ago most of my players had never even seen a Softball game.

I am not complaining I acually think the high level of competition helps more than it hurts. I dont think that blowing someone out or getting stomped helps anybody.

Most of the girls are doing OK but a few are kind of over whelmed by the intensty of the play. But on the good side they get to see why I am as adamant about some things as I am.

Got another game today we'll see how they hold up.
Hope all of your season is going well. OH the best thing no drama queens on this squad!!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm sure your team is doing as good as they can. In HS ball, you have no control over the talent level of your players. You have to forget about wins and losses and ask if they kids improved over the course of the year.

But, of course, it is better to win than to lose.

Jun 16, 2010
A good coach will make a respectable team out of whatever he has to work with. They may not be great players, but they will play the correct way and look like they know what they are doing.

A poor coach will take a team of almost all travel ball players and lose to teams with half the talent.

Jun 13, 2010
Well we won yesterday The girls got real jacked up for the game after our loss and went out and won 16-5. We did make some errors but all in all it went way better than I thought.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Hooray for you and your team wild man. My DD's V team is in a similar boat. The coach has chased away half of the players out of the program. All the pitchers from last year refuse to play for the coach along with the rest. We have 2 seniors, 3 juniors, and 2 sophomores back from last year. Of those, my DD is the only one with travel experience. So we are starting 2 freshman pitchers who aren't ready for varsity and are getting shelled every game so far.

It's going to be a long season here...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523