Rotational Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2008
I'm thinking about sending my 12 year old DD to a Mike Epstein hitting camp. They teach rotational hitting there. Anybody have any experience with these camps? I went to the preview last night and was impressed with the presentation. I've heard some negatives from other coaches and want to know more about the technique.

Is rotational hitting worthwhile? I've seen before and after video from previous students and was impressed with the results.

My daughter is the best hitter on her team and has been intentionally walked because of her bat. I'm just the type that wants her to keep learning and strive to get better all the time.

Thanks,

Pops

May 12, 2008
Depends on what you call rotational. Mike's drills encourage not getting off the back side, lack of tilt among other things. Compare what you hear to elite hitters in slow motion video. Here's a primer. http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/analysis;jsessionid=8fllcp2i01.lion_s

I was a big Epstein booster at one time and his program WILL make most youth hitters better but with an unnecessary ceiling IME. I've settled on Steve Englishbey being the best I've found. If I find someone better, I'll let you know.

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Pops,

Epstein will improve a young hitter, but his system does have some holes. Lack of tilt would not be one of them, IMO. Englishbey's system isn't my favorite - been there, done that - but I do believe Dr. Chris Yeager may be the best hitting instructor out there. The best course of action, IMO, is to study everyone and make up your own mind. There will be people out there who will tell you "this is how you do it and the only way you do it", but you will do better at making that determination for yourself.

Good luck,
Mike

I would send your dd to his camp, Jake Epstein does a great job running those camps. Your dd will come out of that camp with a great swing. I have some clips from a camp that I held if you want pm I will send you a before and after.

May 9, 2008
Thanks for all the responses. I'll keep you up to date on my decision. I've got to go coach my dd's team tonight. Looks like it will be a good night for softball. But I guess that's pretty much how every day and night looks when it's game day.

Pops

May 12, 2008
Pops,

Epstein will improve a young hitter, but his system does have some holes. Lack of tilt would not be one of them, IMO. Englishbey's system isn't my favorite - been there, done that - but I do believe Dr. Chris Yeager may be the best hitting instructor out there. The best course of action, IMO, is to study everyone and make up your own mind. There will be people out there who will tell you "this is how you do it and the only way you do it", but you will do better at making that determination for yourself.

Good luck,
Mike

Epstein does not teach what you see in these first five examples in terms of tilt. http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/analysis;jsessionid=8fllcp2i01.lion_s

May 27, 2008
Indiana
I strongly disagree with your opinion, Mark. Tilt is defined not only by tilt toward the plate, but also lateral tilt. We see this differently. My guess is we will continue to do so.

Mike

May 9, 2008
Commitment

I've made the commitment and signed my daughter up for the Mike Epstein camp which is being held next week. 3 consecutive days 3 hours per day. They'll do before and after video swing analysis which I think I'll post here if I've got the technical prowess.

I'll keep you posted.

Pops

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Pops,

That is great, and I think it is the beginning of a learning journey for you. Epstein isn't the end all, be all - but it is a good beginning. The more you continue to learn, the better you can make adjustments and improvements to the Epstein system. But for now, Epstein's drill work and hitting philosophy will get your daughter heading in the right direction. There are improvements you can make such as getting off the backside, having active hands in the loading process, efficient momentum transfer, scap loading, and running start to name several. Listen closely to the instruction so you understand what is being conveyed and please do not hesitate to ask questions.

Can't wait to see the before and after. Have fun and good luck!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28