Roster Size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
At the younger age groups, it seems losing the bottom 2-3 players every year is common as they often seek a team where they fit as a starter.

Has anyone dabbled with just going with a roster of 10 and having recurring guests available as needed? Guest players are plentiful in our area.

Apr 20, 2015
At the younger age groups, it seems losing the bottom 2-3 players every year is common as they often seek a team where they fit as a starter.

Has anyone dabbled with just going with a roster of 10 and having recurring guests available as needed? Guest players are plentiful in our area.

Rosters of 10 are very common in my area but subs are tricky as well expectations should be very clear with your team and the sub and you should use them when you need them not just to help you win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2015
The general rule of thumb here on DFP has been age group = roster size.

10U - 10 players
12U - 12 players
14U - 14 players
16U - 16 players
18U - 18 players

Guest players are fine as long as the team knows well in advance they are coming. No team member wants to give up significant playing time to a guest and no guest player wants to show up and sit on the bench for the majority of the time.

For this reason, guests usually work best for pitching/catching.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018

Depends upon the # of pitchers, catchers, the versatility of the rest of the team, and the amount of games you anticipate playing.

Jun 27, 2021

10U - 10 players
12U - 12 players
14U - 14 players
16U - 16 players
18U - 18 players

Guest players are fine as long as the team knows well in advance they are coming. No team member wants to give up significant playing time to a guest and no guest player wants to show up and sit on the bench for the majority of the time.

Common model for baseball as kids covert over the PO as they age up and develop.

Jun 27, 2021

10U - 10 players
12U - 12 players
14U - 14 players
16U - 16 players
18U - 18 players

Personally, unless it's nationals I like older teams 14U-18U capped at 14 players as long as there is 3 PO's and 2-3 P/Utl players.

May 20, 2021
I rolled my 10U fall travel with 10 on the roster. It gives them max field time, however “earning” your spot sort of goes out the window. I used 2 guests for 2 tournaments and it was a far more comfortable position from a coaching perspective IMO. Add in possible injuries or illness and 10 is tough. I’ve also found we can’t run a scrimmage in practice without parent volunteers. I’ll be sitting at 11-12 players for spring for those reasons.

Aug 6, 2013
DD's team runs the age=roster size game and so far every season there is a casualty or two after fall. She is 18U and there are 18 girls on the team with 2 PO during fall season. Her team plays mostly showcases in the fall however her coach does not subscribe to the "everyone bats" philosophy. He may bat 12 max but usually 11. So there are usually 5/6 girls (not including P) that will possibly rotate at the end of the lineup but won't start. He does switch out players on defense every inning but if a player isn't in the batting order they still aren't happy. DD payed her dues last fall season on the team and I will admit we were one of the families thinking about leaving after fall - but DD stuck with it and in the summer cemented her place as a valuable hitter and he rarely takes her out of the lineup now. It does suck for the girls who don't get to bat on a regular basis though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802