roster question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2008
We are a 16U team in the midwest. We play 18U most of the time, but plan on playing 16U for metros and nationals. We have one 17 year old that wants to play with us in our 18U tournaments. We have been told that having this girl on our roster for an 18U tourney would disqualify us from playing 16U tournaments. does anyone know if this is correct. Thanks for any info.

May 7, 2008
Luke56...you may want to check with your State Director. Where we live, they changed the birthdate rule because at one time, it was too difficult to rebuild a softball team in summer months (ASA and NSA), so they changed the rule. Although the "softball year" runs August 1st throught July 31st, "cut-off birthdates" were changed to January. So, in essence, a girl's fall birthday qualifies her for a half of season (from August 1st through December 31st) before aging out.

Personally, I am not in favor of this rule change and think any time is hard to make roster changes. Additionally, it doesn't seem fair that a girl can contribute significantly to a team in the fall yet are not able to attend any high level championship games that are held in the upcoming summer months of the softball year.

Ang

Jun 16, 2008
Ang, thanks for the input.

My question really centers around how a roster for an 18U tournament affects our status as a 16u team. We had planned to add this girl to our roster only when we played up,(she is definitely 18u, but without a team for this summer) but we are being told that putting her on the roster for 18u permanently changes our status from 16u to 18u. I guess the state director would be the way to go.

Jun 17, 2008
Fond du Lac, WI
Luke

I think that I would check with your tournaments and see what their policies are. Otherwise talk to or contact your local (ASA/NSA) representative and see what their thought is on it. Yes I do think that it would change your status but what difference would it make if it was 18u tourney she should be able to play. Maybe you will have to change your schedule to play only 18u if you want her on the roster. I can't see where it would make a difference if she played with you, I think there is more of a difference with the girls playing 18u and then coming back to 16u you would think they would be more worried about that.

Hope maybe this helped. Good luck and have a great summer.

May 7, 2008
Luke, so you are saying that one player who is older on your roster will disqualify you from playing the lower bracket in nationals and metros without her? Disqualified simply because she exists on your roster when you play up? That sounds crazy. If she were participating in the national and metros, I can see it would change your status.

Check the source of the information (sounds like possibly a tournament director), and ask that question to the state director or regional director. That doesn't make any sense. Please let us know what you find out.

Ang

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802