Roster 15?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
When we signed up and paid the roster was going to be 12.
Today I was told we would be a roster of 15 ....

Details don't matter other than when I asked last week I was told roster 12 ... Today I asked why I wasn't told this (15 on roster) last week (or when we paid) I was told it was none of my business.

How does that work?

Oct 31, 2010
Pretty sure I would be getting my money back and finding a new team. It's your child, your money, therefore your business.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
When we signed up and paid the roster was going to be 12.
Today I was told we would be a roster of 15 ....

Details don't matter other than when I asked last week I was told roster 12 ... Today I asked why I wasn't told this (15 on roster) last week (or when we paid) I was told it was none of my business.

How does that work?

Bet they also neglected to inform you (and the other initial 12) that the cost per player should be decreased correspondingly (assuming the # of practices/games stays the same)?

It's absolutely your business. If the answers you get re how it will impact your DD aren't to your liking, then you should be able to walk without penalty and a full refund.

Oct 18, 2009
15 is too many. You deserve some sort of explanation. If you don't like the explanation you should be allowed to walk away with a full refund.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
What age group? When you get 18U, many of those teams will roster more players. As the girls get older, they get other interests, jobs etc. so you may have 15 rostered, but naybe only 11-12 show up a weekend.
To me 11 is not enough. I have never been fortunate enough to not have injuries as the year goes along. My favorite number is 13.

As others have said, it is your business. Poor communication on the managers part to keep you updated.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Most teams will allow a player to leave with a full refund, as long as it is before the first tournament.

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand? Did the coaches put in writing that there will be 12, or did they say they WANT to have 12? What did you sign.

If you don't get what you expected, don't sign up for the next weason (if it is too late for this season).

JMO

Aug 16, 2010
Last Spring my 10dd was recruited for a 10u team - we were told there would be a A and B - 2 separate teams. The better players on A and weaker on B. B team got their brains beat out every tourney and after about 3 tourneys 1/2 his B team quit so he unilaterally (without discussing with anyone) moved those girls over to A and combined the teams. Had 17 kids in dugout. We complained, he ignored, we left, team broke up. Got my money back - all of it (of course returned his uniforms, helmet, bat bag, etc.). He has since tried to form another team and cannot get kids because of that debacle.

Jul 26, 2010
Common trick. Here's how it works:

Parents know if their daughter is a top tier player, she'll get the playing time no matter how big the roster. If she's the star short stop, she's the star short stop. Parents also know if their daughter isn't a top tier player, she won't get playing time on a big roster, as she'll be on the bench rotating in every now and then.

Coaches know this too.

The coach probably had the roster set, then realized three other "better softball players" wanted in on the team, so he expanded the roster knowing full well that there was a high likelihood that a few of the lower tier girls on the roster would probably leave to find teams where they would actually get to play.

Now, why didn't the coach just ask those girls to leave? Because he's a panzy. But that's another topic.

-W

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
This coach is someone I have known for years, a friend, and has coached both my DD's last winter.

14U .. mixed '95, '97 8th and 9th graders.
My DD oldest is #1 pitcher.
DD#2 ('98) he said would be 9th-12th player last month (so we made our first payment after that discussion) ... played about half the innings in first two tourn ... we were fine with that .. very happy as last tourn she knocked the leather off the ball.
Last night I was told DD#2 not top 12 now but can practice with team if she wants to. Can come to games but no guarantee if playing.

Although any parent can debate player skill, the additions come from a rec team another coach runs.

With the addition of these rec players the girls literally split up into two groups at practice last night ... they hung together before the addition of these players.

The 12 players was what he had said originally in our discussions, nothing in writing.

After a very heated discussion last night we have to decide if we stay on team or not by Sunday.

Got home after that to find an e-mail asking if my older DD wanted to check out a team as they needed a pitcher. I know they have one other decent pitcher but no other info on the am and if they are even competetive ..

If we stay my younger DD will practice and we were told if she improved she could play ... we are not paying $$ for this. Since he already "lied" and since the rec group is very tight, I wonder if a position is even earnable. If I truly thought there was an earnable position for DD#2 I would stay and let her fight for it (I believe she would win) ... but that little feeling in my gut.

My older DD will pitch, she is a good OF, and her hitting is improving ... we are OK with her having to earn her spot (she pretty much plays all the time) and not have a DH. She will play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog