Role Models

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2014
Standing up for your beliefs is great. But I think they missed out on a prime opportunity to really impact some young girls' lives in a positive manner. Instead they played the copycat game and did what everyone else is doing. Let emotions take over and cancel. The 24 hour rule could have really been effective.

Do you think it's good to teach our children to quit every time someone does something that we don't agree with? To cancel someone every time you're embroiled in a dispute? Instead of sitting down, talking about it, resolving the conflict, and growing from the process? What can you learn from or teach to others if you just cancel someone/something every time they say/do something you don't agree with? How about having a discussion to solve the problem instead of trying to attain victory by walking away? Wouldn't that be a great teaching moment for our children to learn from? That you don't have to "win" every time you have a disagreement.

You will face complicated problems that you have to solve with people that are different than you quite often as you go through life. What do you really accomplish by quitting and walking away every time it occurs? The "I showed them by quitting" method only works so many times before you start to realize you're canceling the same problems time and time again while accomplishing nothing to remedy them.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Agree with Texasheat!
While i dont think its appropriate for any mixture of sports and politics.
Working through things is how we find resolve to continue.
To not let something fall apart.

"Adversity strengthens our mental muscle!"

Apr 16, 2013
I say the lesson is to turn off social media. It's great if your beliefs are on one side of a coin. If they're on the other side of the coin then your life is currently useless and it's ok for everyone to call for the erasure of your entire existence.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
While playing at Long Beach State in my senior year 1987 was approached with the opportunity to become the assistant coach in the following year. Over the years, while playing, I had some exotic hairstyles including a very short crew cut. To accept the position I was told I had to grow my hair out.
My choices were~
Hair of my choice.
Or
D1 Coaching position.

After reflecting on my representation of Long Beach State and my teammates on the field. And the awards I had received. I was a bit annoyed they told me I would have to grow my hair out to be able to coach. Some of my friends told me don't do it. Don't change who you are. What I decided was to continue being who I am and be flexible with my hair. I decided to continue representing Long Beach State and be the same colorful character with heart, determination and intensity that I have always been. Perhaps I was part with other Female Coaches who paved the way for other people to recognize you don't have to wear makeup, you don't have to have long hair,
to be a Division 1 coach. I'm very happy to look back and reflect that I made the decision to grow my hair out a little bit for others to be more comfortable.
It has been my experience in life watching how our society accepts change is not always easy.
What i have found is....
Being a positive example of diversity is leading the way!!
20190309_093430-2.jpg
1985 sophomore year
( the color is Cherry Cola :) )

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Do you think it's good to teach our children to quit every time someone does something that we don't agree with?

Other side of the coin, should we teach our children not to stand up for what they believe in, just sit there and be quiet?

Personally i want my DD's to stand up for what they believe in, and if it means quitting their job then i'll have their back.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
Other side of the coin, should we teach our children not to stand up for what they believe in, just sit there and be quiet?
That's exactly what one side of the coin is doing. If you share your beliefs, you become a target of all the hate and vitriol from the "tolerant" people. Your business must be cancelled, your personal life should be wrecked, and you should never be allowed to have a job or a voice again.

Aug 25, 2019

Personally i want my DD's to stand up for what they believe in, and if it means quitting their job then i'll have their back.

Say if your DD said "Dad, I not a fan of BLM since it's an anti-police organization, so I'm gonna speak up against it" Would you support your DD then, knowing she would be villified and become an outcast to the "woke" mob, or would you tell your DD "My dear DD, don't say a word because your life will be ruined if you do"

Nov 4, 2015
I believe we can teach them to speak up and try to get things changed without quitting. I also believe sports is walking a fine line. At colleges and the pro level, players cannot have control of the teams. If I choose to protest for anything while representing the company I work for, I am free to express my opinion, but I am not free from consequences. The softball players did not like that their voice was taken from them with the tweet. I think they are right, but if some choose to kneel during the anthem, wouldn't that be taking the voice of the owner or organization? Only way we can have it both ways is if BOTH sides are understanding of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449