ROE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
A coach who understands stats will use ROE in the calculus of the batting order. It's no surprise that the coach doesn't care how the leadoff gets on, just that she does. Although our team scorekeeping is pretty good, I've found that some of our speediest players also have some of the highest ROEs. That tells me that they may be getting robbed in some instances of what should be base hits. A "dinky hit" to SS with a fast runner often has to be fielded perfectly at a full sprint to get an out. That's not "routine" or "ordinary effort"...might be a base hit instead of an ROE.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
“Stats are for losers” - Bill Belichick

Belichick said that during a press interview, which means he wasn't being fully truthful. He was speaking in the context of the only stat that ultimately matters is wins & losses, not that he doesn't look at anything else.

Don't believe for a moment that the New England Patriots don't track stats and trends in every conceivable way.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
“Stats are for losers” - Bill Belichick

Who cares..you should be able to tell whether your kid is swinging the bat well or not. If a kid is swinging the bat well it will all work itself out eventually..same thing if they are not. My kid swung like sh*& in the Spring and hit almost .400. She continued to swing like sh*& in the Fall and hit .250..I wasn't surprised.

The only thing having a high number ROE would correlate with is that your team is playing a large number of lousy teams..either that or your scorer doesn't like your DD very much..

So, all the MLB teams that shift because the stats say the batter is more likely to hit the pitch to the right side 70% of the time are losers? I guess that NE should never play anything on defense but a 4-3-4 no matter how the opponent sets up offensively.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Always get a kick out of posts talking about young peoples development,
Then a compairison to mlb.

Stats are for people who like to analyze. Thats it.
Who even knows the accuracy of the stats
*talking about travel ball.
Everyone needs to continue working on hitting no matter what.

Jun 8, 2016
So, all the MLB teams that shift because the stats say the batter is more likely to hit the pitch to the right side 70% of the time are losers? I guess that NE should never play anything on defense but a 4-3-4 no matter how the opponent sets up offensively.
Exactly... :rolleyes:

Jun 8, 2016
Don't believe for a moment that the New England Patriots don't track stats and trends in every conceivable way.
Really...no way?

The point there was that the ROE "stat" is useless for a hitter. A coach who uses that stat needs to find a better scorekeeper.

Aso I don't think statistics are important at all:

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008JSV...317..265A/abstract

(that paper is all about statistics in case you need an interpreter...:cautious:)

Edit :
Belichick said that during a press interview, which means he wasn't being fully truthful. He was speaking in the context of the only stat that ultimately matters is wins & losses, not that he doesn't look at anything else.
and yes I know the context..I was listening to that presser live..I have been a Pats fan my whole life ( I grew up in what I am sure is your favorite state, MA)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The point there was that the ROE "stat" is useless for a hitter. A coach who uses that stat needs to find a better scorekeeper.

I think this is probably true in this case. Sample sizes are likely too small to draw any conclusions even if ROE is a skill. And there's just way too much noise: quality of defense, quality of scorekeeper, etc.

I'm comfortable saying two things are true:

1) The ability to reach on an error is a skill, or is at least indicative of certain positive offensive traits.
2) At the youth softball level, the ROE stat is insufficient in determining who possesses this skill.

Jun 8, 2016
I think this is probably true in this case. Sample sizes are likely too small to draw any conclusions even if ROE is a skill.
The "skill" would be speed and quality of contact and that would bear out in their BA over a long enough time where statistics mean anything. Unless the player possesses a voodoo doll..then sure bat her leadoff.

Dec 11, 2010
Idk- I kind of believe in ROE even though I obviously didn’t know what it is lol

When a players mishits are screaming, nasty, pull side topspin grounders that hit the round deep in the infield you see errors.....

And I’m talking against good competition at older ages here....

I swear when dd when from Xeno to Ghost I even called it “Ghost Effect”.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2