Road to the 2023 NCAA Championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Utah showed up with multiple home runs during RBI situations, took the second game 10-1 over San Diego.
Game three tomorrow!

Aug 21, 2008
Someone check on @Hillhouse. I imagine he's losing his mind after Clemson tried an 0-2 rise ball in a situation where you can give up anything except a home run.
LOLOLOL, thanks for checking on me. I didn't see it but I had heard about it. All I can do is shake my head. One of the Ten Commandments of pitching is: you don't throw riseballs past the 5th inning with a 1 or 2 run lead. You just don't. Can an HR be hit off a dropball? Of course. But, for the 6th and 7th, the pitcher should just be counting outs in their head. 6 to go, 5 to go, etc. Percentage wise, the ball stays in the yard on dropballs. Almost everything about this game is about playing those percentages. Again I didn't see it, but from what I was told, the Clemson pitcher kept the ball down the entire game throwing only a few riseballs. Then, the plan changed somehow. I don't get it. lol

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am taking the Utes to win it all. Like that team. Love their stadium with snow capped mountains in the background. Playing softball at 4400 feet above sea level and cf fence at 235 feet makes for some good entertainment. Lot more green to cover. Maybe pattar could help us with 235 at 4400 equals at sea level??

May 13, 2023
I am taking the Utes to win it all. Like that team. Love their stadium with snow capped mountains in the background. Playing softball at 4400 feet above sea level and cf fence at 235 feet makes for some good entertainment. Lot more green to cover. Maybe pattar could help us with 235 at 4400 equals at sea level??
They definitely have potential!

Jun 8, 2016
Baseballs go about 10% further in Denver which has a slightly higher elevation than where Utah plays.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think Montana Fouts throws riseballs in the 6th and 7th inning.

I believe one of them was hit over the fence, too.

I don't want to speak for Bill, but my understanding is that you're more likely to get the K with a rise, but you're also more likely to give up home runs (especially if you miss your spot and don't get it high enough). So Fouts throwing rise balls with a two-run lead and nobody on could be worth the risk. A solo homer doesn't kill you, and you're going for those strikeouts.

But with a three-run lead, two outs, and two runners on? OU would've needed multiple non-home run hits from that point on to tie the game. And both hits in that inning were little bloop hits. They weren't making solid contact. Just seems too risky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812