Riseball trajectories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_2020-02-14-09-53-19-1.png

In other words, wouldnt gravity help a drop because you want it to go down?
Vs.
Hurt a rise because you want it to go up?

Understand Gravity same force.
And pulling same.
In other words...
If you wanted to drop something you dont actually have to throw it down because gravity will pull it down.
What is the % that gravity assits at?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
So gravity doesnt help a ball move down vs. Hinder moving up?
Seems it would hinder moving up cuz pulling down?
What I meant is the force of gravity is the same for every pitch and yes it acts in a direction towards the ground so yes it "hinders" a riseball and "helps" a dropball.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yes ....thanku...
Hence my ?
...is there a # in the equation....
To what degree it then helps a softball drop vs rise?
Can see Google #'s for a baseball. But not a softball.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yes ....thanku...
Hence my ?
...is there a # in the equation....
To what degree it then helps a softball drop vs rise?
Can see Google #'s for a baseball. But not a softball.
Not sure I understand the question. Can you post the baseball link?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Pardon if my question was confusing.
We can see in chart how gravity pulls on rise pitch trajectory.
(In bb charts, can see how gravity helps pitchers throw downward from bb pitching mound)

Since gravity hurts/hinders rise in sb,
But helps downward/drop pitches,
What is the % it helps/benefits throwing a drop in softball?
Or
What % is the difference between the help or hinderance gravity plays between rise & drop?

*Then answer could tell us
Gravitational pull assists pitcher
this amount _______on a drop
Hence maybe a greater reason to learn a drop because of ________
margin of assistance.
( but have an actual # to it)
( and difference between the help / hinderance between rise or drop)

bb link
( just explains cause and affect)

Screenshot_2020-02-14-10-48-32-1.png

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2016
Kinda curious why they chose 40 feet for release point. (maybe easier if they do calculation with a slide rule?). The other thing (to me) that is crazy is that a reasonably practiced 12u pitcher can do 4th degree kuchen-sneegle regressions on the fly to get the proper release angle to throw a strike with her deadly offspeed drop-crise!

Jun 8, 2016
Pardon if my question was confusing.
We can see in chart how gravity pulls on rise pitch trajectory.
(In bb charts, can see how gravity helps pitchers throw downward from bb pitching mound)

Since gravity hurts/hinders rise in sb,
But helps downward/drop pitches,
What is the % it helps/benefits throwing a drop in softball?
Or
What % is the difference between the help or hinderance gravity plays between rise & drop?

*Then answer could tell us
Gravitational pull assists pitcher
this amount _______on a drop
Hence maybe a greater reason to learn a drop because of ________
margin of assistance.
( but have an actual # to it)
( and difference between the help / hinderance between rise or drop)

bb link
( just explains cause and affect)

View attachment 16379
Gotcha. Yes for that would need to know the magnitude of the (spin induced) upward force for a riseball and the (spin induced) downward force for a drop. You might be able to get that information from the paper but I didn't really read it carefully enough to get that information.

Dec 11, 2010
Stepped out for a sec.

Agree that 40’ may not be an ideal release distance for a pitcher that drives out and drags her foot. She is probably going to cover a distance almost equal to her height? 5’?

My main interest in this is to set up a pitching machine to as near as possible duplicate trajectories of real pitchers in games. My next goal is to randomize pitches to train the “Looking” or “Thinking” phase discussed in Section IV and Figure 4 and 5.

I‘m still struggling with the concept of a release point a foot and a half off the ground. I especially struggle when I think of all the slo-mo videos of brush mechanics where the hand brushes the thigh among the worlds best pitchers. I’m thinking conventional pitching machine heights should be pretty close if not maybe just a little high.

I’m going to go with Pattar that that height shouldn’t change the trajectory of the pitch once we correct for release height.

@RADcatcher, the idea you brought up a few weeks ago that sb pitchers release a pitch that starts in the zone and travels in a direction out of the zone while bb pitchers release out of the zone in a direction toward the zone again becomes an important idea.

Dec 11, 2010
For women, a riseball is easier to hit than a fastball *IF* the batter can predict when the riseball is thrown. The pitch is always at the top of the strike zone and the trajectory is flat, so the batter uses a "level swing". Lisa Fernandez murdered riseball pitching.

I think the above is a great piece of info. People get freaked out with the “flat bat” wording but it’s dead on.

DD hits with a guy that was primarily a hitter on the U.S. Men’s team. Last week he said this is EXACTLY what he did against riseball pitchers including the demonstration of a flat bat at the top of the zone. (His bat angle closely matched his shoulder angle btw.) The story he told was of two k’s in first two ab’s but a rise ball homerun “into the beer tent” was the only thing anyone would ever remember from that game. He basically said the hardest part is “guessing right” on the rise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802