Riseball resources

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The profile of the pitch looks decent. The video quality is too low to see the spin. Love her mechanics and the facility! My daughter has one of his tshirts!

Nov 15, 2014
I've never heard "mixed reviews" with the double ball. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what the negative(s) could be? Not only do you get an instant visual of how the ball(s) are actually spinning but, if thrown correctly, the top ball actually turns UNDER the bottom ball helping create back spin. This gives the pitcher the feel for what they're trying to accomplish with a regular ball and helps eliminate the bullet spin pitches by getting rid of the "door knob" analogy, which actually promotes turning the wrist resulting in bullet spin.

I've seen the EZ thing before, and just like using a football for a spiral underhand, I don't think it actually translates into what we need to do when throwing an actual riseball. But that's just my opinion, what do I know?

If you're a baseball guy, he's the easiest way to figure the riseball out: take an overhand curveball, and turn it upside down. Bingo, there's your backspin riseball.

Bill
I was only referring to the mixed reviews I have seen for the ezriseball gadget. After receiving it I can understand your point. As for the double ball I was trying to avoid sounding like a jerk for “assembling” my own and not buying it through your store. I did that soon after I started the thread when your video using it was shared.
I have been helping my daughter for nearly 5 years now. I’m sure you don’t remember but you replied to my first post regarding finding a PC near Myrtle Beach. I was as excited then as I was the other day, I grab my daughter “Bill Hillhouse posted on my question!”. If I have offended you about the double ball I apologize. Highly value your knowledge and my daughter has benefited greatly from it. Thank you[/QUOTE]

Aug 21, 2008
Junebug,

PLEASE!! I am not offended at all. And I didn't invent the double ball thing so it's hardly "mine". Baseball people have been using a similar device for YEARS to teach curveballs. So, I didn't invent anything in pitching. Neither did anyone else on this forum or others. Pitching has been around a lot longer than any of us.

The way I read your post, I thought you said mixed reviews on the doubleball. So, its just an overall misunderstand of what was said and meant. No worries.

BTW, if me replying to your posts excites you... you should probably get out more!!!!! LOL.

Bill

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Mechanically she looks fine, as far as a riseball goes you should be able to access how much backspin the ball has and that's your feedback. Put some black spots on the ball, that will help you determine the spin and rpms.

Aug 24, 2018
The video quality is too low to see the spin
Any recommendations to actually see the spin on video? I've been using Technique by Hudl, but it only captures a frame every foot or so. I can see it occasionally when catching, but as DD starts to throw harder and I keep getting slower I prioritize not catching it with my face ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802