Riseball resources

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
it is important to note:
1. Yes, true riseballs tend to be a bit slower than other pitches - for most.
2. A true riseball gives the appearance of being slower for a few reasons, both related to true backspin:

Not sure I agree with that. What makes you think this? How much is "a bit slower" in your opinion?

Bill

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
What is a “fatty grip”?

On the previous page, Walljasper, Wilkinson and Waldrop are using the fatty/thumb-off grip. In the video of Walljasper, I believe the pitch was about 55 mph and I’ve heard her rps is 30 plus!

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I'm seeing more backspin riseballs now, typically it comes with a dropped pitching shoulder as the pitcher attempts to get 'under' the ball at release. Here is an example, Bill will recognize this girl, at Providence it seemed even more exaggerated. Click on the '2016 game highlights' box to start the video, the beginning gives you a good look at how she cuts under the ball.

When I 'start from scratch' I encourage my pitchers to do this, it is a significant change for most girls from their normal mechanics. I'm taking a 'backspin at all costs' approach when I do this. For those of you who can throw an overhand curveball think of the rise as an 'upcurve'.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2014
I'm seeing more backspin riseballs now, typically it comes with a dropped pitching shoulder as the pitcher attempts to get 'under' the ball at release. Here is an example, Bill will recognize this girl, at Providence it seemed even more exaggerated. Click on the '2016 game highlights' box to start the video, the beginning gives you a good look at how she cuts under the ball.

When I 'start from scratch' I encourage my pitchers to do this, it is a significant change for most girls from their normal mechanics. I'm taking a 'backspin at all costs' approach when I do this. For those of you who can throw an overhand curveball think of the rise as an 'upcurve'.

Safe to say this is the “fatty grip”? I am surprised how flexed the wrist is.

FD508811-54CA-427D-8979-65F13474AE35.jpeg

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Yes it is.

One thing I like to try with video, it doesn't always work but it does with this one, I pause the video, then left click on my touch pad with the cursor on the dot which is on the time line at the bottom of the video (hold it down), then place my right index finger on the touch pad and use it to slide the time button along the line, this lets me see the video frame by frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802