Riseball - ball rotation axis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Similar experience trying to hit off of a college kid whose rise was her best pitch. Spin wasn't great, but fast enough to have that ramp effect. I knew it was coming, but even thinking "hands high" and "top half," I was way under! She just smiled...

Speaking of spin, my daughter is in her second year with the rise and still struggles with spin orientation. 1 in 4 (maybe) have decent back spin. When it does, the result is like magic! A little off speed and floats like a balloon. She rarely looks my way during games, but when she nails that spin, I always get a big smile and a wink!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here ya go
UhxkIZ.gif

More open on the rise…John Gay taught that as a style, staying open all the time. Which some pitchers do, especially lefties from Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
But, the snap is cracking the whip. From lower to the upper, getting into the throwing position, and snap.

happens fast.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Before John passed, he said he’d been studying slow motion video of contemporary elite pitchers and said he’d reconsidered his opinion on staying as open as he’d previously taught.

Sep 3, 2015
My DD learned her rise from Balswick, and practiced spin for almost 2 years before using it in a game. He wasn’t a stickler for perfect spin, he actually prefers some lateral movement.

Started using it second year 14s, now she is a senior (2022). When it’s on (70%) there are a lot of swings and misses, when it’s just ok (25%) lots of foul balls straight back and flyballs to the outfield. When it’s not good it leaves the park.

But when it’s on…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802