Rise, Drop, Change

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD has a very good change that moves down and away. Lots of movement. She also throws a good drop. Learning the rise and it was better this week than ever before. New coaches and they paired her change and rise. Very good combo. I don't think she threw the drop much at all. I'm not sure if we should even still work on the turnover drop since she gets so much downward movement on her change. Thoughts?

May 6, 2015
is her drop close to same speed as her FB? if so, might be nice to have, in case she is up against batters who are able to discern the drop/change early (ie holding off on it).

Dec 6, 2016
I got excited when I saw this post. My daughter is 18U and I constantly tell her the only 3 pitches you need to throw is 1) a down pitch 2)an up pitch 3)change. If those pitches get thrown at the same trajectory every pitch, she will be unstoppable.

My daughter plays on a very high A team in travel and the coaches get pitch calling and she is very successful with those 3 pitches. For high school, the pitch caller only calls fast balls and screw balls and she gets beat up pretty good against just average teams. She has talked to the pitch caller several times about it and the coach doesn't want to here it.

So, just my opinion - those 3 pitches is all your daughter needs to be extremely successful!

May 6, 2015
I got excited when I saw this post. My daughter is 18U and I constantly tell her the only 3 pitches you need to throw is 1) a down pitch 2)an up pitch 3)change. If those pitches get thrown at the same trajectory every pitch, she will be unstoppable.

My daughter plays on a very high A team in travel and the coaches get pitch calling and she is very successful with those 3 pitches. For high school, the pitch caller only calls fast balls and screw balls and she gets beat up pretty good against just average teams. She has talked to the pitch caller several times about it and the coach doesn't want to here it.

So, just my opinion - those 3 pitches is all your daughter needs to be extremely successful!

maybe she should talk to her catcher in HS. it might be considered "going off the reservation", but if HC sees results from it, likely to not say anything.

Apr 28, 2014
Yep.
I'm a big fan of working a good rise up with a flip change. DD is getting better with her drop but not perfect yet. Still mix in some curve and screw but in HS you can dominate with a good change and rise.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
It might be considered "going off the reservation", but if HC sees results from it, likely to not say anything.

This comment struck a cord with me. DD is a pitcher. Coach called Pitch 'A' and DD through Pitch 'B' ... that had a ton of movement. The girl swung through it and missed it by 10 feet. I could tell the coach was disappointed in the pitch but not the outcome. I then heard coach say "sometimes it just do what it do." It was a great pitch.

Jan 28, 2017
DD throws the drop that comes out the back of her hand. Really good. If she doesnt spin it enough it can be a little hard.
Her drop isn't as good most days. Normally change 42-45, Drop 50. Up pitch changed eye levels and really helped her. Fastball 53-55.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
DD throws the drop that comes out the back of her hand. Really good. If she doesnt spin it enough it can be a little hard.
Her drop isn't as good most days. Normally change 42-45, Drop 50. Up pitch changed eye levels and really helped her. Fastball 53-55.

Meant change out the back of her hand

Mar 20, 2015

My DD has the same pitches at about the same speeds. Her fastball has very little drop and she throws a drop spin change up and also a drop ball.

Looking for ways to get her fastball to morph into a rise ball rather than building a riseball from scratch. Thought is trying to get the fingers to rip a little more under the ball and gain some success a little bit at a time. Has anyone tried this approach rather than building one from scratch?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478