Rise Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ok my DD and I have been working on the rise ball for months(Just the mechanics of it) which I will say has been crazy hard :) getting the right spin here and there. trying the different grips etc. everything seemed really hard? anyway last night b4 practice we were playing around throwing to each other (pitching) I was holding the ball like you would of a curveball but not throwing my arm across my body for a curve but instead putting back spin on it like you would for a rise. (by the way the ball was taped so we could see the rotation of the ball) low and be hold I started throwing almost perfect spin for the rise so I told my DD to try it also and she too was hitting it pretty consistently not always 6-12 spin but 7-11? so ? is this just a fluke, are we doing something wrong? honestly I don't understand why it was working so well?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Experimenting is awesome! Find the grip and release that gives her the best mix of spin, speed and control.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A palm up curve grip but with the wrist straight and the fingertips whipping under instead of around.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The grip is a preference.... all you need to be concerned with is getting the correct spin.(Assuming your not dropping off a substantial amount of speed) Try 100 different styles and grips (preferably with a rev fire) and see what's working the best for her. Which one is getting the tightest spin and fastest speed etc..... Because again, it about getting correct spin.

yes. we were doing exactly what ken said, palm up curve grip and just throwing it straight with backspin not bringing your arm across your body like you would a curve. and I do want to get the rev fire but that's going to have to wait until offseason #1 ive already dropped a ton of cash on ball for this season, and #2 they are backordered :) thanks guys. but we definitely are going to practice that grip and technique more and explore with it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802