Rise Ball Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
Lots of good discussion so I guess I asked a good question. My DD just turned 12 and her "fastball" is cruises around 57. In general she can throw her other pitches close to her fastball. She just started throwing the rise ball and it is around 53. Maybe it will speed up in time. I just don't think she has confidence in the pitch yet. She just started throwing it a few weeks ago. I use fastball in quotes because she is basically incapable of throwing a straight pitch.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Lots of good discussion so I guess I asked a good question. My DD just turned 12 and her "fastball" is cruises around 57. In general she can throw her other pitches close to her fastball. She just started throwing the rise ball and it is around 53. Maybe it will speed up in time. I just don't think she has confidence in the pitch yet. She just started throwing it a few weeks ago. I use fastball in quotes because she is basically incapable of throwing a straight pitch.

I’ve heard horror stories about amazing riseballers who were ruined by coaches who got freaked out by the slower speed. In their pressure to get more speed, they lost their backspin and spin rate, as well as the effectiveness of the pitch.

Focus on spin axis first and foremost, then work on increasing spin rate. Let the resultant speed be what it is.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Saying this again
Fastball is not faster.

For all those coaches calling pitches....who think fastball is some blazing speed pitch...
*Its usually not faster.
Most every pitcher i caught for and know of has other pitches atleast as fast as FB.
*Most every pitcher throws something else faster!

Calling pitches and what pitches are really doing~
Its a phenomena that starts in the beginning.
pitchers learn to try and find the plate. The pitch they are trying to find the plate with is called a fastball. Is every pitcher throwing this super fast speedy, zooming, jet like propulsion, faster than a crack of lightning fastball...?
NO!
its just a pitch they try and find the plate with. And coaches call it because well its what pitchers learn first.

*BUT THEY CAN SAY THEY THROW A FASTBALL !

DO WE HAVE ANY DEBATES ABOUT IT? How fast is really fast that no batter can touch?
Hmmm?
Not really
at young levels fast may be noticeable but when batters develop ... This story changes... And pitchers need to work on movement.

THAT SAID the reality is if anyone thinks just throwing fastballs in any competitive age bracket (say 12u and up)
is going to beat batters...
They are missing the big picture!

Zooming elite fastballs get crushed!!!!!
At all age brackets!

When i'm at bat...
Please :) throw me a fastball
as hard as you can,
That straight pitch that starts as a strike at your release point
takes a flat bee line path to my bat.
Get your defense ready,
PLEASE wear fielding masks...
Because that fastball you just threw me...
Is being RIPPED BACK AT YOU!

Point being~
Would much prefer a pitcher to use moving pitches!

*It makes it harder for batters!

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Saying this again
Fastball is not faster.

For all those coaches calling pitches....who think fastball is some blazing speed pitch...
*Its usually not faster.
Most every pitcher i caught for and know of has other pitches atleast as fast as FB.
*Most every pitcher throws something else faster!

Calling pitches and what pitches are really doing~
Its a phenomena that starts in the beginning.
pitchers learn to try and find the plate. The pitch they are trying to find the plate with is called a fastball. Is every pitcher throwing this super fast speedy, zooming, jet like propulsion, faster than a crack of lightning fastball...?
NO!
its just a pitch they try and find the plate with. And coaches call it because well its what pitchers learn first.

*BUT THEY CAN SAY THEY THROW A FASTBALL !

DO WE HAVE ANY DEBATES ABOUT IT? How fast is really fast that no batter can touch?
Hmmm?
Not really
at young levels fast may be noticeable but when batters develop ... This story changes... And pitchers need to work on movement.

THAT SAID the reality is if anyone thinks just throwing fastballs in any competitive age bracket (say 12u and up)
is going to beat batters...
They are missing the big picture!

Zooming elite fastballs get crushed!!!!!
At all age brackets!

When i'm at bat...
Please :) throw me a fastball
as hard as you can,
That straight pitch that starts as a strike at your release point
takes a flat bee line path to my bat.
Get your defense ready,
PLEASE wear fielding masks...
Because that fastball you just threw me...
Is being RIPPED BACK AT YOU!

Point being~
Would much prefer a pitcher to use moving pitches!

*It makes it harder for batters!

Yeah - dd’s “fastest” pitch is actually her curve. Added a drop this winter and it’s about 3-5 mph slower than her curve. Still a work in progress. Rise is about 2-3 mph slower but I think that is because she has really been focused on getting backspin. Every now and then she’ll unleash one that, to me, appears as fast as her curve since I’m the one who catches her at lessons. If it has decent backspin at that point it is difficult for me to tell.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yeah - dd’s “fastest” pitch is actually her curve. Added a drop this winter and it’s about 3-5 mph slower than her curve. Still a work in progress. Rise is about 2-3 mph slower but I think that is because she has really been focused on getting backspin. Every now and then she’ll unleash one that, to me, appears as fast as her curve since I’m the one who catches her at lessons. If it has decent backspin at that point it is difficult for me to tell.
Looks like a good mix of pitches and speeds!
? Did i read your daughter is off to college now?

That drop will pair well with that curve!!

Hows her change up?

May 27, 2013
Looks like a good mix of pitches and speeds!
? Did i read your daughter is off to college now?

That drop will pair well with that curve!!

Hows her change up?

Thank you! Yes, she’s a senior this year. Will play D3. Her change speed varies from 15-20 mph slower - it’s been her best pitch since 14U. Sometimes I think it’s too slow but she really propels her body forward with her drive and keeps her arm speed up so you really have no idea it’s coming until it’s too late. I’m thinking it’s closer to 15 mph slower in games.

Following a lot of the pitching gurus’ (Hillhouse, etc) suggestions on here of really having a good drop and rise, that’s what she’s been focusing on this off-season. Never really had a drop before and would throw an occasional DC. Already can see how it would benefit her. She really only throws her curve now typically to get a first-pitch strike or as an out pitch if she’s way ahead in the count. Want to rely more on vertical movement this season.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thank you! Yes, she’s a senior this year. Will play D3. Her change speed varies from 15-20 mph slower - it’s been her best pitch since 14U. Sometimes I think it’s too slow but she really propels her body forward with her drive and keeps her arm speed up so you really have no idea it’s coming until it’s too late. I’m thinking it’s closer to 15 mph slower in games.

Following a lot of the pitching gurus’ (Hillhouse, etc) suggestions on here of really having a good drop and rise, that’s what she’s been focusing on this off-season. Never really had a drop before and would throw an occasional DC. Already can see how it would benefit her. She really only throws her curve now typically to get a first-pitch strike or as an out pitch if she’s way ahead in the count. Want to rely more on vertical movement this season.
Chang up sounds great!
Good chance :) she enjoys having that drop mixed in!
Like the pitch variety.
Look forward to your upincomming
"College Posts" 👍

Aug 21, 2008
Can’t argue with that! ;)

LOL, the reason I left it at that is because, if you have read through this thread and still have the thoughts and opinions that you do, I don't think I'm going to be able to change your mind. So, I thought I'd save us both some time by just saying I disagree. As I said earlier, my own riseball was not slower than my dropball, and I'd like to think I have pretty decent spin on mine. Moreover, most of the hardest throwers I've played with/against who throw absolute gas don't seem to lose velocity on their either. So I'm not sure why you think what you do, so I'll just disagree. I mean, we could meet somewhere between your place and mine and fight in the parking lot? Or just agree to disagree. Your choice Ken. lol. :)

Oct 7, 2015
I’ve heard horror stories about amazing riseballers who were ruined by coaches who got freaked out by the slower speed. In their pressure to get more speed, they lost their backspin and spin rate, as well as the effectiveness of the pitch.

Focus on spin axis first and foremost, then work on increasing spin rate. Let the resultant speed be what it is.

I'm glad to hear you say this. My daughter has great spin axis and spin rate.. but it's about 10 MPH slower than her dropball. It's super effective but everyone thinks she's throwing a high floating change up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802