Rise Ball Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm no expert but seems like like when someone is learning the rise they will have a fair drop off in velo from other FB type pitches but that somewhere between 3 - 12 months as they get more comfortable with it the velocities are roughly the same though it probably varies a little from pitcher to pitcher.

Sep 3, 2015
I'm no expert but seems like like when someone is learning the rise they will have a fair drop off in velo from other FB type pitches but that somewhere between 3 - 12 months as they get more comfortable with it the velocities are roughly the same though it probably varies a little from pitcher to pitcher.

My DD has been throwing her rise for maybe 3 years now in games and I think it will always be a little slower.

Slower, faster, as fast, who cares! Is it effective?

It might be her best pitch, watch the swing and miss.

I think it just helps everything else with some variation in speed if nothing else. She’s not a flame thrower, probably 60-61 but it’s enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
But all rise balls are not equal, some have a degree of back spin, others like Rachel Garcia's are pure bullet spin and her's is certainly effective. It's great if a pitcher's rise is as fast as her change, but how does it spin? I have a pitcher with the 'slow' pure backspin rise, she also throws a bullet spin pitch which is 5-7 mph faster, basically the same speed as her fastball. We don't call the bullet spin pitch her rise ball

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Of any rise I’ve gunned or seen gunned, the more backspin and RPS, the more offspeed the pitch.
I mean, we could meet somewhere between your place and mine and fight in the parking lot? Or just agree to disagree. Your choice Ken. lol. :)

Do you still come out to Spokane? I’ve been hoping the timing would work out for one of our trips there, but no luck so far. We could meet at the parking lot of a softball field, then jam with a Pocket Radar and a DK ball. That would be a serious blast!

Actually got to do this with javasource and Doug Romrell. It was a serious blast! Mike had me trying different grips then checking spin rate with his RevFire. Awesome time!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I watched a 15 YO take on college players with a mid 50’s drop and an upper 40’s rise. Walljasper cruised around 55 with some incredible backspin. Wilkinson was also in the 50’s with some crazy RPS. @Rick Pauly would remember the speed and RPS.

Aug 21, 2008
Of any rise I’ve gunned or seen gunned, the more backspin and RPS, the more offspeed the pitch.

Do you still come out to Spokane? I’ve been hoping the timing would work out for one of our trips there, but no luck so far. We could meet at the parking lot of a softball field, then jam with a Pocket Radar and a DK ball. That would be a serious blast!

Actually got to do this with javasource and Doug Romrell. It was a serious blast! Mike had me trying different grips then checking spin rate with his RevFire. Awesome time!

I haven't been to Spokane in a LONG time. The guy who used to sorta host me there, his daughters have graduated college by now.

I used to speak at the Seattle coaches clinic every couple years, and do lessons there when I was in town. But that guy died a couple years ago so I don't know if that will continue or not.
Honestly though, travel and clinics has fallen off. When I was working for the NCAA schools, then doing those would be against the rules. And while I haven't been with a school since Oct 2019, I've been doing a lot to build up lessons here in Omaha where I'm living. I do a big day of lessons here on Sundays, which would make weekend travel tough (not impossible). Nebraska is one of 5 states that does their HS softball in the fall instead of spring. So, that makes the calendar for "busy times" different here, and obviously changes the slower times too. So Sunday is a good compromise here to get everyone in. Sorry, I know you didn't ask about all that but, between this reason and Covid, it's made travel and clinics hard. Not to mention, doing a clinic now might be hard. 1/2 the population is covid terrified. The other 1/2 is "living their lives" as best they can. I'm not saying one side is right or wrong, I'm just saying while 50% is staying indoors and not leaving home, it may make it hard to fill up slots.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
@Hillhouse
Looking forward to to getting back to whatever normal will be. My daughter and I were planning to travel to help at some clinics, but that’s on hold till at least summer after next... More importantly is to be able to visit family...

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
He is basically a stepper who just hops and shortening the distance. Very different from how girls pitch.
True, but this thread is about the speed of a rise ball and I am saying that you have to take into account the spin. Folkhard's rise is very fast but it's only half back spin. Generally speaking the more back spin the slower the speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802