Rise Ball Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
How fast should the rise ball be in comparison to a fastball? My DD is just learning this pitch and I know it will take some time. I just would like to get a bench mark on speed.

May 5, 2019
How fast should the rise ball be in comparison to a fastball? My DD is just learning this pitch and I know it will take some time. I just would like to get a bench mark on speed.
It differs for each girl but typically a 4-5 MPH drop from a fast ball is what I see. With that said you should see an increase in spin velocity....

Aug 21, 2008
Personally, I had no significant difference in my speed from my rise to my drop. And I know many people who actually throw their rise FASTER than anything else.

I think this question is predicated on how they are taught a rise. Is it the "bullet spin" pitch? If so, it's probably going to be a lot slower. Bullet spin requires the wrist to turn, similar to how a baseball pitcher loses speed on a curveball compared to his fastball. So, not only do they get bad spin but they get a slower pitch. Back spin should not see much speed decrease.

Jun 19, 2016
Personally, I had no significant difference in my speed from my rise to my drop. And I know many people who actually throw their rise FASTER than anything else.

I think this question is predicated on how they are taught a rise. Is it the "bullet spin" pitch? If so, it's probably going to be a lot slower. Bullet spin requires the wrist to turn, similar to how a baseball pitcher loses speed on a curveball compared to his fastball. So, not only do they get bad spin but they get a slower pitch. Back spin should not see much speed decrease.
Do you know of any good videos that show this action? I found some videos but most seem to be bullet spin. Yes, I realize this is Rachel Garcia, but not everyone is going to be her.

May 5, 2019

I know men are a lot stronger (typically) in their wrist and forearms and it just seems like there is consistently a loss in speed for many of girls 13-18 YO this may not be the case in stronger more dominate athletes.

Aug 21, 2008
I know men are a lot stronger (typically) in their wrist and forearms and it just seems like there is consistently a loss in speed for many of girls 13-18 YO this may not be the case in stronger more dominate athletes.

Why do people always revert to gender when talking pitching softball? Yes, men are stronger. But it's not about strength. If it was, every male pitcher would be a steroid junkie trying to get stronger to throw the ball harder. It's about what pitchers are taught. Male and female pitchers. A male pitcher being taught bad mechanics will have the same issue as a female taught those same bad mechanics. But this is only in pitching. Girls are taught to throw overhand the same way, the swing is now the same as boys, they run bases the same, catch fly balls the same way, slide into bases the same.... it's only pitching that people teach differently and I simply don't understand it.

Moreover, I'd be remiss if I didn't say the wrist actually KILLS the riseball more than it helps it. (hootie13 mentioned wrist strength). The wrist is USUALLY what causes bullet spin.

Men/women, boys/girls should be taught the same ABSOLUTES in pitching. Where PC's go wrong is, they teach their own STYLE as though it's ABSOLUTE.

Jan 28, 2017
DD rise is a little harder than her FB.
We have a girl that plays on her HS team that has perfect 12/6 spin. Most of the time people think it's her change but when she throws it at the knee caps (by accident) they look like a cartoon character trying to hit. She has trouble hitting spots and doesn't pitch a lot but perfect spin on her rise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802