RIP Ed Serdar

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ed Serdar died in March of this year.

Ed played men's fastpich in Aurora, Illinois. Aurora had a vibrant men's fastpitch league in the 1960s. There was even a fastpich stadium in Aurora, similar in size to the stadiums at Alabama or Arizona. The dominant team was the Sealmasters...who were the best team in the fastpitch world for several years. Ed was a pitcher, but never played for the Sealmasters. He said, "They asked me to play with them, but Harvey Sterkel was the best pitcher in the world. All I would have done is sat on the bench. I wanted to play."

When men's fastpitch started to decline, Ed started coaching at University of St. Francis in Joliet. He also started one of the first girls softball teams in Illinois...the Whiteford Sharks. While he stopped coaching at St. Francis after 4 years, he continued coaching the Sharks for another 20+ years. Back in the day, the Sharks were one of the few teams east of the MIssissippi that could go seven innings against the good SoCal TB teams.

I first talked to Ed in 1983. I was trying to get pitching lessons for my DD. I asked over and over again, and Ed always had an excuse why my DD shouldn't pitch. He said, "No, your DD's too old." When he saw my DD pitch, he said,, "She can't pitch.. You are wasting your time." According to Ed, my DD was better suited to mopping floors than softball.

But, I was persistent, and he finally relented. At our first lesson, I found out that Ed had computer problems. I offered to help him out, and drove over to his house and fixed his computer. From then on, I went over to his house about once a week for 3 years fixing his computer, working on spread sheets, drinking beer, watching sports, and talking softball.

If you were to talk casually to Ed, you would think he was a bigoted SOB. Maybe he was. He certainly made LGBQT softball jokes by the boat load.

Yet, he was light years ahead of everyone. He created a girls travel softball team before Illinois recognized softball as a high school sport. He had African Americans on his team long before it was acceptable. When it came to softball, he didn't care about sexual orientation or skin color. He cared about performance, teamwork and honesty (in that order). He got scholarships left and right for kids.

Pitching lessons with Ed were a treat. He would regularly berate my DD, but always with a twinkle in his eye. He called her "Slerk", for "Spioiled Little Rich Kid." My DD didn't care. She thought he was funny, and was a little proud that she had a special, albeit insulting, nickname.

As my DD progressed, his favorite drill was to have my DD pitch and "just throw strikes". He would stand next to her and tell her she sucked, and that she was a poor excuse for a pitcher. He would go through a litany of insults. He always won, until the last lesson. He went after my DD for about 15 minutes, and she didn't crack. She had learned how to shut him off, and how to turn off the anxiety and nervousness when she pitched.

When it came to softball, he wasn't any more polite with me.

My DD got a scholarship at a juco in El Paso. She pitched the team to two consecutive appears at the JuCo World Series. Before she started her D1 career, she went and pitched for Ed, hoping to get some pointers. Ed watched her and said, "Not bad, Wood." He then walked off. That was the closest to a compliment she ever got from him.

I asked Ed about why he rode the kids. He said, "I want the ones who want to throw the ball 70MPH. Those kids care about what I teach, not what I call them."

Some of Ed's quotes that I can print:

"You've seen chicken droppings. You know what that little white dot is on the top is? It is chicken sh**."
While coaching third base: "Don't roll your eyes at me over the umpire's call. Hell, you just swung at a pitch at your eyes. He has better judgment than you do."
While coaching third base: "What were you doing swinging? You missed the sign. Let me simplify this for you: BUNT. "
"Wood, you're as tough as whipped cream. No...that is an overstatement. You are more like air."
"In softball, only the names change."
After a loss: "Too bad, too bad."
"The kids are never the problem. It is always the parents. They are all crazy."
In response to the question, "What kind of kids do you want for your softball teams?" Ed would say, "Orphans. That way, there would be no parents."

Ed had health problems for many years. He almost died three times. His joke was that he wasn't going to heaven, and that the Devil didn't want him because he would raise to much Hell.

I last talked to him about six months ago. I told him (again) that I appreciated everything he did for my DD. He said, as he said before, "I didn't do anything. She did it all."

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Great story Sluggers. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Unfortunately many of us will start seeing some of our mentors passing on. I look around at the guys I work with regularly and I know it is coming sooner rather than later.

You mentioned Peoria in another thread, and now Illinois specifically. Guessing you were from up north?

Apr 16, 2013
You don't hear about coaches like that much anymore. Snowflakes would have flooded him out. My DD is now going to play for a coach that yells and screams. It was her choice, 100%. She said she doesn't mind it, it makes her want to never slack off. I think that attitude will serve her well in life. Ed sounds like a guy I would have liked to have known.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Nice tribute. Can't say that I got to know him, but our team played at Stone City a few times during our 14-16U years. Ed was an ever-present figure...and god help the team that dared to step onto his field for warm-ups (the field was for games!). Definitely a pioneer in midwest softball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Great story Sluggers. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Unfortunately many of us will start seeing some of our mentors passing on. I look around at the guys I work with regularly and I know it is coming sooner rather than later.

You mentioned Peoria in another thread, and now Illinois specifically. Guessing you were from up north?

I lived in Naperville for most of my softball coaching years. My DD#1 still lives there.

Sep 17, 2009
My oldest DD played against Stone City when they were in their late prime. Good games. His teams wore hats. The program was famous for pulling players mid-inning, I assume his influence. He also built a beautiful field. Great story, Sluggers.

Nov 29, 2009
My DD played for the Sharks for 4 years. Everything Sluggers said is true. There were a lot things Ed said you can't print here. One of his favorites was "We treat all our kids the same. Like $hit." Another of his favorites is my tag line when asked about parents over the years.

Two of the things he did WAY before anyone else in the mid-west were the Sharks had their own field with lights and they had their own indoor training facility. The indoor facility was the top floor of an old warehouse that was built at the start of the 1900's. It had support columns every 30 feet, but he made it work. He was the first program to have non-parent coaches in the Chicago area. He was teaching his pitchers IR years before the term was coined. He never named it.

It took me a while to figure him out. His bark was worse than his bite. The reason for the way he treated the players and parents the way he did was two-fold. One was to keep the parents intimidated and inline. The other was to make sure there was NOTHING anyone could say to a girl who played for him that would affect their performance on the field. And it worked. There was nothing anyone could say to my DD on the field that could get between her ears.

I didn't get too much crap from him because I was the guy who fixed anything that broke around the fields. One of my fondest memories of Ed was when he handed me the keys to the entire facility. He grinned, chuckled and then said "You're F'd." It didn't take long to figure out how true the words were. There was always something broken.

Samantha Findlay who played at Michigan hitting the game winning homerun in the championship game and was the MVP for the 2005 tournament when they won the WCWS played her whole travel career for the Sharks. Her younger sister Angela played there. She was also an All-American. Danny Tyler from the first Olympic Team played there. He turned away Michelle Venturella from the first Olympic Team because her dad made too many demands. He had a lot of other successful athletes who played in the WCWS.

I did have a name for him. I called him a Crusty Old Buzzard. He was a force in the softball world. It's too bad Father Time took it's toll on him. He really did a lot to accelerate the level of play in the Chicago area.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Thank you for taking time to write this stuff down. The history gets lost of someone doesn’t do it. People tend to know very little about softball if it happened before or after their kid was playing.

Sparky Guy, I have always wondered about the origin and what the WOC part of your tagline means. I’ll say that that phrase fits a lot of situations and I have thought about it many times.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee