Right View Pro

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2008
Anyone use this system before, no ones uses this system in my area (Austin, TX) but there is one instructor in Southlake (Dallas area) who does use it and I was thinking about taking my DD over to see him but wanted input from anyone who has used it first. Seems like a good tool to use.

Videoof DD getting a base hit.

Any comments or suggestions for her swing are appreciated.

May 12, 2008
The video comparison software idea is great. Use the MLB comparison vids. Some of the fp swings aren't that good. I've got better female swings on my computer. Is this what you are asking about or are you asking about the swing exposition and or the drills? Who in Southlake? Ifubuildit who is on here is somewhere in the Dallas area and I think owns Right View stuff but Dallas area geography escapes me. I recommend him for face to face instruction. There's some other smart guys up there one of which gives pitching lessons. He knows hitting too but I never asked him if he teaches hitting. Probably does. I'll look at your video clip next. Got curious about the instructor in the Southlake area first.

May 12, 2008
God bless Don Slaught for getting Candrea and Enquist on video saying the fp swing is essentially the MLB swing. Having said that, I have a problem with some of his arm action ideas, which I told him about at the Ronald McDonald in Houston a few years ago, and find his understanding of the swing to be two dimensional. Love the software. I think the swing exposition is better than a lot of stuff out there including Mike's old stuff. Hate the drills. Ignore the drills, use the software after viewing the swing exposition with a grain of salt and you could do a LOT worse. I'd have no heartburn with a kid being trained this way. Just look out for a tendency to hip slide and bat drag. Nip that in the bud and you should have good success. I prefer Englishbey's stuff by far but executing the Right View program with diligence and violent intent should serve you well IMO.

May 12, 2008
I like the rock skipping stuff. Did he 'invent' that?

I suppose that was Slaught. To me, skipping a rock is throwing. Throwing is forming a loop with the arm to deliver energy. Forming a loop with the top hand arm while hitting is bat drag. Now I know that's not what Right View teaches but I think that indicates he chose a poor cue with a likelihood of being misinterpreted with out careful attention from a coach or careful attention to the Right View comparisons.

Bat drag. See 20 through 25. Analysis

May 12, 2008
Candrea and Enquist The Real Deal, Englishbey snake oil salesman. You decide!

LOL Opinions vary. Perhaps you could be more specific? Where do you get your Englishbey information and how long did you spend studying his stuff? Wish you could have been there at the Ronald McDonald one fall when Slaught (Candrea and Enquist's current teaching on the swing is in fact Slaught's teaching) and Englishbey discussed the rock skipping cue. Englishbey thought they were having a friendly discussion of the merits. Slaught was sweating and shaking in front of a crowd of coaches some of whom were college coaches. I was thrilled to see the new materials coming out from Candrea and Enquist under the Right View brand. MUCH improved over so much of what came before and still passes for instruction in the fp world. In my view, Englishbey has been at Z and Candrea's old stuff was somewhere around H. Now, espousing Slaught's understanding of the swing, Candrea has moved all the way to about X. Which I'm thrilled to see. Much better for the sport. Three cheers for Slaught. I love his software and his swing exposition is a huge plus for the sport. Use the software, work hard and you will be ahead of the great majority of hitters at any level. I personally recommend Englishbey but if you choose Right View I don't have a problem with that. Some other gurus I would have huge heartburn with a kid committing to their program. Not so with Right View. Better than most IMO.

May 12, 2008
But, that's how amateurs hit. The big leaguers pivot the bat in the hands.

What you typed seems to agree it's a bad cue but no matter. The W in PCRW originally coined by Paul Nyman is for whip so whip is not new news. The radius of bat head rotation does move to near the hands late in the swing.

May 12, 2008
On the contrary, it's necessary to keep the hinge angle/the approximately 90 degree relationship of the bottom hand forearm to the bat through much of the early part of the swing.

May 12, 2008
You start pushing the barrel around early rather than maintaining the hinge angle that won't work well in baseball, softball or golf. Don't mistake loading patterns with what happens at launch. Does it happen quickly? Hopefully. Pushing the barrel out early is a casting swing increasing the radius of the bathead trying to be rotated and slowing down the swing. Five frames from first movement of the bathead into the swing plane till contact is a good number for a college hitter. 2-3 of those frames need to be with the hinge angle maintained. Google double pendulum for more discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802