Right View Pro

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
So as not to highjack the other thread.

RightView Pro Baseball & Softball Training Software

OK, so what do I order? I have about 15 beginning students at any given time. So far, I video tape them or take pictures and then "try" to show them that they haven't got their wrist cocked or something.

They are ages 8-14 and haven't had any formal instruction up until, now.

Is this a different site than the old RVP stuff?

May 7, 2008
DFW
Amy

Do you really feel you need right view pro to see what you already know? Your taping your students and pointing out there mechanical short comings. That alone is IMO worth more to a kid than watching themselves being compared to what the best in the world do differently.

Look at the 3 top USA pitchers right now on the team and none of them have the same style or motion. At the moment of truth (Release point) they are in the same position but that is about it. Cats arm is bent more that Jennies, and Monica's arm flies out away from the body a lot more than the other 2 ect. They certainly dont look anything a like when they take the mound.

The WCWS this year was interesting in that the pitchers this year all looked to have variations of premotion just before release. Very few were the same. There is no cookie cutter template but there are absolutes to pitching. Teach them the absolutes and they will be fine.

And keep filming them. Video is worth 2000 words if a picture is worth a 1000.

Elliott.

May 7, 2008
San Jose, CA
Play B4 you buy!

Amy in AZ,
If slowing down video and zooming in on an athlete is your 1st priority there are many software packages on the market. The speed of your camera, lighting and format will determine how clear the zoom and slow motion is. Google motion analysis software and download the trial versions and play. Most will do all that you require and be able to handle the most sophisticated video.
There are two I use and feel work well for hitting motion analysis, Sports Motion and Dartfish. Here are some things that you might want to play with; I have found them to be valuable tools:

1. Export capabilities
a. DVD, CDV,PDF and Windows
2. Edit and cutting
a. Allowing you to tape a lesson and edit into multiple small segments then export as a single video. Eliminates dead time and allows you to view only the athlete’s motion.
3. Embedded mark ups
a. Once you mark up a segment it is always helpful to be able to transfer the data to the student to take home.
4. Freeware viewer support for your students
a. Allows them to use the files you have in a like viewer
5. Filing system and tag capabilities
a. Depending on how many files you will create, this really helps me identify what I was looking at and categorize video.

Again, play with different software and find out what works best for you and your application.

Good Luck,

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Gosh, if I knew the way to San Jose', I would come have you show me all of that.

If you guys are paying attention, I am a recent empty nester. Just wait. You will be buying all kinds of junk, too.

I went up to Flagstaff, this weekend and I have 2 8 YOS throwing pretty good up there, so I am doing some of this from long distance. (3.5 hrs. away)

The good news is that I teach 3 girls up there and they are all wearing a face mask.

May 7, 2008
Amy,

I'm a huge fan of RVP...not because I can compare my DD to Jennie Finch, but because I am NOT a tech geek and this program is foolproof. AND it allows you to view at 60fps. You can look a 4 different views at the same time (from front, side and rear view for instance). Or you can watch video from today and last month side-by-side. You can draw on the image, make still photos, etc. Although, I do believe that the capability of syncing up your student with Amy Hare is a good teaching device!;)

Keith

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Video analysis

So as not to highjack the other thread.

RightView Pro Baseball & Softball Training Software

OK, so what do I order? I have about 15 beginning students at any given time. So far, I video tape them or take pictures and then "try" to show them that they haven't got their wrist cocked or something.

They are ages 8-14 and haven't had any formal instruction up until, now.

Is this a different site than the old RVP stuff?

Hi Amy. A suggestion from the been there done that file.

Video tape a young beginners very first attempts. Then, don't video again for another month. Show them the first one and then show them a month later. They will see a big improvement and will be amazed how 'Dorky' they USED to look and how good they now look thanks to coach Amy. :)

Too much video taping of a young beginner and they will see it as nothing but criticism and you pointing out how lousy they are. No matter how much praise they get for their strides and effort, thats how they will see it.

We always did it once a month. More often if necessary with the older ones but the new young ones, no more than once a month. That way it's YOU telling them what to do to get better and not the camera telling you what to do.

PS: ALWAYS keep that copy of their very first attempts. A year or two from now, accidentally stick that in the player for review. It's great for a laugh :)

May 12, 2008
The video supplied of MLB hitters at 60fps that comes with RVP is worth something. Last I checked, the fp clips, not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802