Right Handed Slap?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2009
My DD's 16U coach is teaching right handed hitters to slap from the right side. Back foot steps over and the slapping of the ball downward. I have never heard of this and am wondering if this is a new philosophy of slap hitting?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I first heard about this in a blog post from Marc I believe it is called a "slug". no one is expecting a slap from the right-handed hitters and it's another tool to get on base. both lefty and righty slappers start out running straight toward the pitcher, not 1B. the problem for righties is that it is easier to hit the ball toward 1b/2b , resulting in a short throw for the out.

if you can pull it or hit it high enough in the air you'll be ok.

most coaches don't even want to think about this but it is outside the box thinking and if a team can do this they have an advantage.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
In order to be effective a slapper must be in motion forward or toward 1st base at contact, for a lefty this is almost a natural move. For a righthander to do this the timing must be prefect, if the hitter is a little early she will be moving into the path of the ball, a potentially dangerous situation. Plus the lefty is still going to be a step or two closer to first base and that makes a big difference between out and safe. A righty might make it work as a surprise move but not on a regular basis like a lefty can. For a righty it's basically a bunt.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In order to be effective a slapper must be in motion forward or toward 1st base at contact,
I think the motion forward is the more important attribute. the slapper (lefty or righty) runs directly toward the pitcher and maintains at least one foot in the batter's box on contact. If a Lefty starts toward 1B before they hit the ball, they are pulling away from the pitch which will most likely already be heading outside.

Once you hit the ball, I agree the lefty's 1st footfall is closer to 1b than if she didn't slap.

the lefty is naturally closer to 1B and this provides a running start. but then again it provides a running start for a righty too and contains the element of surprise.

Sep 3, 2009
In order to be effective a slapper must be in motion forward or toward 1st base at contact, for a lefty this is almost a natural move. For a righthander to do this the timing must be prefect, if the hitter is a little early she will be moving into the path of the ball, a potentially dangerous situation. Plus the lefty is still going to be a step or two closer to first base and that makes a big difference between out and safe. A righty might make it work as a surprise move but not on a regular basis like a lefty can. For a righty it's basically a bunt.

You really don't want to be stepping towards first; they should be stepping towards the pitcher. With a slapper, stepping towards first is stepping AWAY from the pitch. If it's an outside pitch, you're giving the def a free strike. Not sure what the point is in slapping from the right; there's no advantage for the righty, and they're really limiting themselves in their ability to put a ball into play.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
First watch small ball DVD by Candrea. The toe points to SS not the pitcher. Even Bustos has slapped, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Plus I think she was not doing it for speed to first!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, a RH batter who does nothing but slap won't work at upper levels of play. Slappers are very effective against weak to good teams, but not so much against very good teams.

But, if a RH batter could do a variety of different things so that the infield couldn't play her as a slapper--then it could be very effective.

Sep 3, 2009
First watch small ball DVD by Candrea. The toe points to SS not the pitcher. Even Bustos has slapped, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Plus I think she was not doing it for speed to first!

Remember though that Candrea advocates the Larry Ray style, and the footwork in the two styles are very different.

As far as slapping goes, I think there's alot of misconceptions about what it is, and isn't. Chopping a little bouncer to the infield isn't really slapping. There's a bit more to it that just putting a bouncer into play, anyone can do that regardless of what side they hit from.

It's one of those "not all sushi is raw fish, but all raw fish is sushi" or "not all whiskey is bourbon, but all bourbon is whiskey" sort of things. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802