RH thrower - LH batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
I'm thinking that with all other abilities being equal including RH throwing, colleges are most likely choosing LH batters. That's why I suggested the incoming HS players try hitting LH in the off season. But that has been met with indifference.

Over the past 5 years on the HS team we have had only 3 RH throwers who hit LH. One was recruited to a Big 10 school, the other 2 started for D3 schools. And of our best RH hitters during those same 5 years 6 played in college, none above D3.

I just get frustrated when I see most of our opposition with 2-4 lefties in the lineup and we have 1 with nothing much in the way of LH batters in the pipeline.
Thinking about it now with the HS team all 4 of the lefty batters who threw right wrote lefty. One bats, writes and throws lefty and my DD bats and throws lefty but writes righty and does almost everything else lefty.

DD hit righty in the beginning and never really hit well until she switched. Probably should have been lefty all along but didn’t know any better in 2nd grade when she first picked up a bat. It’s amazing how much better she hit from the left almost immediately.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
8-year-old daughter is a LH hitter, RH thrower. She writes left, kicks right. She's goofy.

Her old brother did everything left-handed, her twin brother hits and throws LH but writes and kicks RH and her 3 y/o brother is all RH. The 14-month-old is still to be determined, but seems to lean RH.

May 29, 2015
You haven’t committed on the 14-month old yet? You better get on it before it is too late. Everybody knows the best 14-month olds are already playing 6u ball! :oops:

@NBECoach — maybe high school is too late? Players seem to have more curiosity about the game around the 12u or 14u level and are less set in their ways. Although, I say that as somebody who learned to switch hit after his baseball career was over, so what do I know.

Jan 28, 2017
Thinking about it now with the HS team all 4 of the lefty batters who threw right wrote lefty. One bats, writes and throws lefty and my DD bats and throws lefty but writes righty and does almost everything else lefty.

DD hit righty in the beginning and never really hit well until she switched. Probably should have been lefty all along but didn’t know any better in 2nd grade when she first picked up a bat. It’s amazing how much better she hit from the left almost immediately.

Power eye and dominate hand has always been interesting to me. I wonder which eye is the power eye or if they are co-dominate. I hit left handed and my front eye is my power eye. That was a key component of MLB players before the open stance.

Sep 18, 2016
I switched my 12yo righty to LH hitting only in August of this year. She wears strong rx glasses so I know for a fact her right eye is stronger than her left. She struggled to get hits as a rh hitter. So far this fall she is hitting more and harder as a lefty. Her bp is up 100 pts from the last season. She's slapping well and this week hit some big triples and doubles instead of weak ground balls to 3rd like she was at right and when we first switched. The only real issue is her bunting, she went from best bunter, got on even with sac calls, to popping up or fouling off. I think that is related to the eye issues as well, bunting makes that weak eye more dominant rh bunting uses her good eye.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
My 10 YO DD does everything RH. My 4 YO son does everything sports related RH but writes and eats LH. At this point it looks like my 18 month old son throws LH and eats LH but the bugga keeps trying to pick up a bat RH (probably because he sees his sister and brother do it RH) but there is no way in he*& I am going to let him throw LH and hit RH..LOL!!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018
DD has mentioned switch hitting and I particularly dont have an opinion on it other than why thy hell not (She is a righty)

I know we have one true lefty on the team and i believe another that throws R. This might be a fun thing to try next off season.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
DS has always hit LH and switched to throwing RH after one season of t-ball (he was just better at it). It was just more natural to him. He's 100x the hitter his sister is and puts almost zero work into it and doesn't seem to care one bit.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
We have 4 LH on our team including my DD. All 4 write, eat, etc LH. 3 of them including my DD throw RH. 2 of them are RH pitchers. Really weird.

Feb 3, 2016
I've posted about my DD several times and her journey going to the left side. Took a year getting her timing down but she gets a little upset when making her go to the right side from time to time.

We've played with a girl once that starting hitting from the left because she was hit by pitches several times on the right side and if she didn't switch she was going to quit softball.

I had a couple people tell me she needs to choose a side playing softball as she ages but I'm thinking if baseball players can switch why can't a Softball player keep her skill set. I just think it helps her be a better hitter overall.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802