Reynolds no stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I can't remember if I posted this swing. He hit this one over the left/center fence. He hit .314 last year, although he struck out 121 times. Seems high for a no stride hitter.

Dec 19, 2019
Oklahoma
All a stride for is timing. I love the no stride. Keeps everything more simple. Load and Go! Keeps head still. Power is generated with the unlocking of body parts to maximize bat speed at the point of contact. In all reality a hitter has more control without a stride therefore they are less susceptible to the offspeed. I disagree with YOcoach.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
All a stride for is timing. I love the no stride. Keeps everything more simple. Load and Go! Keeps head still. Power is generated with the unlocking of body parts to maximize bat speed at the point of contact. In all reality a hitter has more control without a stride therefore they are less susceptible to the offspeed. I disagree with YOcoach.
If one of a pitcher's main jobs is to disrupt a hitters timing by using various change of speed pitches, then why would you want to take one of the most important timing mechanisms away?
While I agree that there are certain advantages to a no stride such as keeping the head still, taking away a timing mechanism is not one of the them. Just my $.02

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019
Oklahoma
Maybe I am not clear. I like an inward turn which I can still use for timing. I agree we have to have something. Not just hit from a standstill.

May 12, 2016
You don't need a stride to time a pitch.. no stride hitters still have a process/sequence.

Nov 13, 2019
Depends how mobile the players body is. Less mobile players like Reynolds, Pujols will no stride. Not the case with more mobile guys like bonds, Harper etc. These guys need more stretch.

May 12, 2016
Depends how mobile the players body is. Less mobile players like Reynolds, Pujols will no stride. Not the case with more mobile guys like bonds, Harper etc. These guys need more stretch.
You don't need a stride to create more "stretch" either. There are a lot of amateur hitters who stride without creating stretch. Both types of hitters with proper sequence get to this position;

Capture2.PNG Capture1.PNG

May 12, 2016
I'm not sure I have the patience for a detailed explanation, lol. But in nutshell, regardless of how big your stride is, or how mobile you are before heel plant really does not make a difference in creating stretch, potential, resistance energy etc.. If your sequence is all back, all forward you will have nothing left in the tank at heel plant.

Regarding my pics above, Donaldson big movements, big stride, on the other hand Wright is a no-strider. Donaldson with all those big movements before heel plant, but he is athletic and has enough control to get to that nice balanced position, loaded and ready to explode. Wright still gets to the same spot without those movements. But make no mistake, there's still a lot happening, he is gaining ground while resisting with the backside.
Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG
With all that being said, I don't think it's good idea for a hitter should be too focused on creating stretch, resistance.. etc

A lot of people seem to think the bigger the stride, the more power. But honestly I think it's more about rhythm, dancing, or getting in sync with the pitcher. Asking a kid who is uncoordinated to copy some of these major league big moves may be the most detrimental thing you do for their progress.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478