Reverse “ Travel Parent” Mentality

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
5’7” isn’t small in anyway, even for college.

I just looked at last year’s Oklahoma roster. There are seven players 5’7” or less.

I did a thread once about how tall are softball players where I looked at the rosters of the top 10 teams one year. They’re a little taller than the average American woman, but by only an inch. I believe there were only 3-4 six foot or taller and they were pitchers.
So the average height of the top softball teams in the country is 5’5”. I would have guess 5’8”.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So the average height of the top softball teams in the country is 5’5”. I would have guess 5’8”.
...makes 5'7" above average.

Not small.

* Good feedback added to the conversation LostCreek!

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Here's my "research":

May 13, 2021
Here's my "research":

Ok so the average was 5’6.64” so 2.64” above average. Which would be somewhere around top 20-25 percent.

Oct 3, 2019
Anyone else suffer from this and any advice on how you got over it?

2025 DD seems to have some solid interest from some mid major D1 schools that were successful in their conferences the last couple seasons and gets comments from club coaches and other parents on the plays she makes or ability she has. However to my very untrained eye she seems too small/not enough power/etc to compete at that level. Been subtly pushing her to consider lower level schools where it seems like she’d fit athletically better to me.

As a parent do ya just trust what others seem to see that you don’t or trust your gut?

Thoughts from others with older kiddos is much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My granddaughter didn't start playing softball until 2nd year of 12u rec. She was able to get onto a low level travel team fairly soon after that although, her skills weren't quite up to par obviously. However, she was always told that she had potential and everyone seemed to acknowledge her speed and athleticism. She was even compared to a local, older player and told she had the ability to reach that kind of potential. As a freshman SS/CF on JV, the coach told her she would be D1 someday. This was shocking to all of us. Yes, we could see potential but know that it takes so much more. She still wasn't consistent with her hitting on the travel team although defensive and baserunning success was there. But, still, none of us in the family truly believe she is D1 material at this point and knowing her, we'd be happy if she just wanted to play JUCO. She knows she doesn't want to play D1 and isn't sure she wants to play in college at all. Our upcoming high school season starts in a month and she was called to Varsity at the end of last season. I believe she will still need to try out. This will be the telling season for her. She takes it to the next level or doesn't; it's that simple. I guess the point is, it doesn't matter what anyone says. The girl has got to understand what it takes to get to play in college and then consider, is that the life they want for themselves. As for the required talent, that changes with each year and each level. It's a constant challenge to continue to grow and some just don't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478