Reverse “ Travel Parent” Mentality

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2015
I tend to doubt others that tell me how good my DD is. That being said, over the last year or so, she has begun to, what i refer to as, "look the part". Still wont turn any heads walking off the bus, but she makes plays and hits pretty good. Just doesn't look like I think it should look while doing it. If that makes any sense.

Oct 26, 2019
If she has a dream/goal of playing at that MM D1 level then I said go for it. Worst case you transfer after a year if it doesn’t look like she has a path to playing time.

Or maybe she loves the school so much she decides to stay anyway.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Unless you are truly a power 5 level starter talent - softball should ALWAYS be secondary as part of the college choice process.

Academics and college fit has to be first. 90% of people continue to not want to hear that or believe it; but it is true. If you don't want to be there without softball, the experience is very likely to suck.

That said, coaches don't have time to show interest in players they don't think they might have a use for. 'Use for' is not the same as playing time - it can be backup, fill-in, pinch runner, bullpen catcher, cultural fit - or in the case of an Ivy - a ACT/SAT score that will allow them to recruit a lower ACT/SAT pitcher.

But if a college coach is interested, then you can be confident that pretty much EVERY coach on a team below that level is also likely to have a level of interest. That is great to know when you are making out a list of target schools.

Also what does your DD wants out of college softball - I know players who are OK or even happy sitting on a bench for a D1 team - practice. team, etc is big to them. If fighting to even see the field is OK, then maybe the top end of talent team is the one for her. If they want to play quick, then more research is needed - fitting a need or just being more talented then potential teammates is a definite area.

My DD's travel/HS catcher is a junior at a D1 Ivy school - she has played 5 innings of non-conference play in 2 years in some blowout games. She has yet to have a hit in a game And that isn't going to change as there is just a better player in front of her. She loves the school she is at; and says she likes the softball... not sure. If she has gone to DD's school she would have started every game and batted no lower than 6th.

DD pitches, hits and fields for her school which is D3 but academically the same as an IVY - she starts 75% of games (most at pitcher and SS/3B) and normally subs in by the 4th inning in games she didn't; . She had offers at the same Ivy and several other D1 schools. We have 4 - maybe 5 D1 level talents on the team.

College degrees are forever... college softball is a few years.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
There are certain players who just stand out at first glance. They can make unreal plays, hit it a mile run etc. There are also a lot of players who don't look remarkable until you see them a few times. They make every play, do the right things when the all isn't hit to them, grind at bats and are always on base and coming up clutch. You know these kids will play well every single game.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Unless you are truly a power 5 level starter talent - softball should ALWAYS be secondary as part of the college choice process.

Academics and college fit has to be first. 90% of people continue to not want to hear that or believe it; but it is true. If you don't want to be there without softball, the experience is very likely to suck.

That said, coaches don't have time to show interest in players they don't think they might have a use for. 'Use for' is not the same as playing time - it can be backup, fill-in, pinch runner, bullpen catcher, cultural fit - or in the case of an Ivy - a ACT/SAT score that will allow them to recruit a lower ACT/SAT pitcher.

But if a college coach is interested, then you can be confident that pretty EVERY coach on a team below that level is also likely to have a level of interest. That is great to know when you are making out a list of target schools.

Also what does your DD wants out of college softball - I know players who are OK or even happy sitting on a bench for a D1 team - practice. team, etc is big to them. If fighting to even see the field is OK, then maybe the top end of talent team is the one for her. If they want to play quick, then more research is needed - fitting a need or just being more talented then potential teammates is a definite area.

My DD's travel/HS catcher is a junior at a D1 Ivy school - she has played 5 innings of non-conference play in 2 years in some blowout games. She has yet to have a hit in a game And that isn't going to change as there is just a better player in front of her. She loves the school she is at; and says she likes the softball... not sure. If she has gone of DD's school she would have started every game and batted no lower than 6th.

DD pitches, hits and fields for her school - she starts 75% of games (most at pitcher and SS/3B) and normally subs in by the 4th inning in games she didn't; which is D3 but academically the same. She had offers at the same Ivy and several other D1 schools. We have 4 - maybe 5 D1 level talents on the team.

College degrees are forever... college softball is a few years.
@marriard for the win.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
What specifically is the solid interest you are referring to?
Did that directly come from a D1 coach's mouth to your daughter's own ear?

Asking because,
1. This is directly affecting your concern of her attending one of those colleges.
2. If she is currently a sophomore,
Usually (in most cases by the rules) there would be no direct conversations about *recruitment with a D1 college coach.

Agree...if she's a 2025, that means she's currently a sophomore. How is a D1 school expressing any interest? Beyond attending a camp, a D1 coach can't yet communicate with her.

As far as being too small or not strong enough to compete...again, she's a sophomore. There are plenty of players in D1 who aren't what anyone would call "big". That said, what others have mentioned about the academic fit is spot-on. Your kid's college search should first match up with her longer-term interests and academic ability.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Size matters. Well, I think it does for some coaches. Maybe even to a fault sometimes. Somebody mentioned "that college coaches get it wrong all the time." The 5'9", 145 lbs. athletic player will draw the eyes of coaches before the 5'3", 119 lbs athlete. They look past the fact that the bigger player is the nervous type, bobbles the ball more or was completely fooled on the CU. I think some coaches tend to think they can fix any shortcoming's the larger player may have when in reality they probably can't.
Smaller players are going to have to work harder, stay focused and be super consistent in order to get noticed by some coaches.

May 27, 2013
Agree...if she's a 2025, that means she's currently a sophomore. How is a D1 school expressing any interest? Beyond attending a camp, a D1 coach can't yet communicate with her.

Could be through the TB coach. The coach could say to them, “I’m very interested in that SS who is on the field right now” and no rules would be broken.

Jul 14, 2018
DD is a similarly undersized 2025 (especially for a pitcher). One of the first things we did when making a list of schools was to check the roster and see how many players are under 5’5”. Some coaches just won’t consider someone who doesn’t fit the mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog