Reverse “ Travel Parent” Mentality

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2021
Anyone else suffer from this and any advice on how you got over it?

2025 DD seems to have some solid interest from some mid major D1 schools that were successful in their conferences the last couple seasons and gets comments from club coaches and other parents on the plays she makes or ability she has. However to my very untrained eye she seems too small/not enough power/etc to compete at that level. Been subtly pushing her to consider lower level schools where it seems like she’d fit athletically better to me.

As a parent do ya just trust what others seem to see that you don’t or trust your gut?

Thoughts from others with older kiddos is much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
If she's getting some interest from MM (mid-major) D1 programs, are you doubting the college coaches judgment? It doesn't matter which level she ends up playting. Unless she is being specifically chosen to fill a hole or position that a Senior is leaving open by graduating, chances are, she will sit the first year or two. It doesn't matter if it's D3 or Major D1. At least that's been my experience between my daughter and the other numerous players I sent on to the next level.

May 27, 2013
I think the important question here is what does your dd want? I have seen small players outwork the more “prototype” players and do just fine at the D1 level. Obviously the coaches see something in her ability to take interest in her. I’m also assuming it’s not just one D1 coach but a few who have taken notice of her? If so, then I would say she can compete at that level. Is she on a high level TB team now playing top competition? If so and she’s doing well, then I’d say she’s more than capable. It just might take more work from her to prove she can hang once she’s on a D1 team.

Another thing to consider is academically what does she want? This is what drove my DD’s recruiting process. She wanted strong academics and better chances for summer internships. D1 teams (not all, but some) might want your dd to play over the summer. Dd wanted nothing to do with softball over the summer and landed an internship that will make her a strong contender for a grad school program in her field.

Also - will she be able to play the position she wants at D1? My dd wanted to pitch and knew she’d get the chance at D3. The D1’s looking at her wanted her as a slapper and fielder, not as a pitcher.

Just things for your dd to think about and consider - and kudos to you for being very open-minded about the process!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Anyone else suffer from this and any advice on how you got over it?

2025 DD seems to have some solid interest from some mid major D1 schools
What specifically is the solid interest you are referring to?
Did that directly come from a D1 coach's mouth to your daughter's own ear?

Asking because,
1. This is directly affecting your concern of her attending one of those colleges.
2. If she is currently a sophomore,
Usually (in most cases by the rules) there would be no direct conversations about *recruitment with a D1 college coach.

💥Performance and productivity are not measured by the size of a player.
💥A player is measured by their performance and productivity.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
I struggled with the same thing until the year of actually being able to talk to the coaches about what they saw in dd. Our org head has been around a long time and was very sure that she fit in at that level but I had a hard time believing it and honestly so did she. She still does as she’s her own worst critic but it keeps her humble and working hard. Cast a wide net. If the mid majors fit her academic and social and what not no reason not to put those on the list too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802