Return money or not? What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2009
The scenario:

Players parents unhappy with position and pitching time. Parents pull player out and place her on another team to get the position they want to see their DD playing and to get those extra innings at the pitchers plate.

In short, they want fund-raising money, and some re-imbursement of player fees.

I never saw this coming, and they have left the team in a pickle just after I lost a player to HS for the next 1.5 months. I have been trying to be as understanding and as pleasant as possible........

What, if any type of re-payment are they entitled to? I am in my second year of travel, and did not have this problem last season.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
None.
They are not "entitled" to any money raised for the team. They quit, that's their choice but fundraising money stays with the team that the funds were raised for.
That should be made clear when your players join your team.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I would say if promises were made at the time she was selected to the team or when she paid, she deserves her entry money back....barring that i think if you quit, you forfeit.

also, I would not promise a girl anything except to put them in a competitive , teaching environment where they can learn to play softball. all playing time, & position is earned in travel ball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As to fundraising money: $0.00

As to player's fee: If you made promises that you didn't keep, they should get all their money back. If she just didn't like the way things turned out, then they shouldn't get anything back.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
I would agree with $0 back for either. The form I had the parent's sign said $0 refund once paid. That being said I did refund a girl that just left, before our season had started to go to another team.

Why? I was stuck taking her as she was with the team last year. If she would have had to try out for me I wouldn't have taken her. Basically, I refunded to ensure they would go someplace else.

May 5, 2008
If the fundraising money was for a TEAM fundraiser, then definitely what everyone else said.

I really don't think they should get their money back unless you specifically failed to deliver on promises made. If there were no promises made as far as playing time, then they shouldn't be entitled to any money back.

sluggers <== Ouch! But true

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28