Reporting in From the Whaling City (New Bedford, MA)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I've done a post or two before introducing myself, and I've certainly done some lurking. I have two softball-age daughters who are currently playing 12U (11, first-year in that designation fall ball) and 10U (9, second-year in that designation). I feel that I've learned a lot from my lurking and am hoping to calm myself down a bit as a spectator😏. My 11YO DD is a 5'6" lefty pitcher/1B/OF who only has a not-so-fastball but has experienced success as a third pitcher in C-level TB. She has now moved up to a 'B' team, and I am actively looking for a pitching coach in the SE Massachusetts area.

Neither of my girls has had paid lessons. I have been reticent to find an individual coach until I find one I think will help them for the future. The adult peer pressure to have individual coaching is both hilarious and frightening at the 10U level. I have read many of the various threads, watched a lot of videos and have tried to impart some of my newfound wisdom to my burgeoning athletes. The 9YO also wants to be a pitcher now. She has primarily played right field and second base, decently, and can bunt, but has no pop in her bat.

I don't anticipate my daughters being college stars or anything along those lines. I've been a coach in other sports at the junior high level and realize how some athletes peak earlier and some later than others. That being said, I want to maximize their potential and not hinder their growth. I appreciate this board for the fact that so many have traversed this journey with their own daughters.

Apr 26, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I've done a post or two before introducing myself, and I've certainly done some lurking. I have two softball-age daughters who are currently playing 12U (11, first-year in that designation fall ball) and 10U (9, second-year in that designation). I feel that I've learned a lot from my lurking and am hoping to calm myself down a bit as a spectator😏. My 11YO DD is a 5'6" lefty pitcher/1B/OF who only has a not-so-fastball but has experienced success as a third pitcher in C-level TB. She has now moved up to a 'B' team, and I am actively looking for a pitching coach in the SE Massachusetts area.

Neither of my girls has had paid lessons. I have been reticent to find an individual coach until I find one I think will help them for the future. The adult peer pressure to have individual coaching is both hilarious and frightening at the 10U level. I have read many of the various threads, watched a lot of videos and have tried to impart some of my newfound wisdom to my burgeoning athletes. The 9YO also wants to be a pitcher now. She has primarily played right field and second base, decently, and can bunt, but has no pop in her bat.

I don't anticipate my daughters being college stars or anything along those lines. I've been a coach in other sports at the junior high level and realize how some athletes peak earlier and some later than others. That being said, I want to maximize their potential and not hinder their growth. I appreciate this board for the fact that so many have traversed this journey with their own daughters.

Truth. I know a family that's been paying for their daughter to have a pitching coach outside of her 10U TB practices. I recently watched her give up 5 runs in an inning without the other team getting a hit.

I'm sure individual lessons can be helpful if you have a good coach and the player has the tools to be a good pitcher. Otherwise, you might as well throw your money out the window.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802