Report to safesport or warn other parents..or both

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2016
Yelling instructions vs. Being verbally abusive and making it personal.

Not talking about the OP post but some kids need more motivation than others. This can be done well or very poorly.

It is amazing what people will let their kids endure just to be on that team or be in a certain position on a team.

I remember seeing an entire 14u team quit after a practice after a coach screamed like a maniac and made them run until they all puked. All quit except the coaches kid. She sat out fall and had to go to another organization. That guy is still coaching a younger team. Crazy.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2019
I've never seen a 10/12U girl get better by a coach yelling at them. If they are older, or playing in college where they are getting money to play for schools, then maybe it's different. It's a job at that point, coaches jobs are on the line at that level. But some coaches only know the yelling method. Those typically aren't the best coaches at an under 18 level.

Feb 3, 2011
I would make sure the other parents know why you are leaving, but I wouldn't bash anybody on the way out. Others have a right to know why you are leaving
I strongly disagree. I start from the baseline position that none of your personal affairs are anyone else's business. If other families ask why you left, it's fair to inform them if you want to, but there is no obligation to do so. "We're going in a different direction at this time - good luck to you guys" is all that need be said, if anything.

It doesn't sound like there is much to report to any authority, but I suppose you have the right.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
A coach like this is probably a nut. I wouldn't tell anyone else, I would just switch teams.

If anyone asks later I would just say that he wasn't overly positive. Expect the other coach to bad mouth you. Accept that and move on.

Yelling is fine. Mental abuse can be loud or whispered.

May 1, 2019
The "quotes" u listed in the the thread sound like a coach coaching to me, if you want a nice guy or a nice try coach then maybe travel ball isnt for you. Me personally I want the toughest coach out there as long as he understands the game and is making the team and or my kid a better softball player, I say coach em up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101