Report to safesport or warn other parents..or both

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I guess it is just the way I was raised, but I don't understand the "keep quiet and walk away". ..

The OP provided nothing more than their personal opinion regarding what sounds like an over the top coaching style. And it is quite possible that some of the events are based on second hand information. I find nothing in the OP that rises to the level of ...save kids from being ridiculed in front of their piers [sic] or other forms of metal/physical abuse. In the absence of something objective like true mental or physical abuse, no action is warranted. Forego the drama and find a better fit.

Apr 30, 2018
...just finished ace and safesport training and this fits their description of verbal and emotional abuse.

Only OP can be the judge of it, but if he just took the course and his gut is telling him it is a problem, then follow your gut. I wouldn't report it if the stories are second hand, only if OP personally witnessed it and can accurately relate specific instances.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2017
So you did not appreciate the coaching style. No problem. Show some class and quietly find your DD an environment that better suits her. It is not up to you to save the rest of the world on the way to something new. Do not be "that parent".

So that wouldn’t fall into the mandatory reporting catagory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2017
I’d rather not cause drama honestly. We tried out with a different team sat night and they picked her up. She was smiling for most that practice which I hadn’t seen her doing on the last team.

Sep 28, 2017
Neither. From your description, I suspect the HC has a military background and/or was simply born before 1981. Tough to say without seeing it first-hand, but it sounds like he/she is trying to teach personal accountability. Some people respond well to “knifehands” while others do not.
e4ac0281b640cba1f6c344952c038c46.jpg

Dec 2, 2017
Neither. From your description, I suspect the HC has a military background and/or was simply born before 1981. Tough to say without seeing it first-hand, but it sounds like he/she is trying to teach personal accountability. Some people respond well to “knifehands” while others do not.
e4ac0281b640cba1f6c344952c038c46.jpg

I think neither is what I’ll do. If other parents want to know why we left they can contact us. If they don’t know how She coaches they have their heads stuck in the sand.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
No, they do not. And it is not your job to inform them.

I took the safe sport course last year. There are some things that are mandatory to report.

Without being there I really couldn't say if what the OP describes falls under the mandatory report category or not. But if I have any questions I'd review the course material and make a decision. Based on the limited info in the OPs post I think he made the right decision to pull his daughter from the team. If what he describes is the full extent of the problem I do not think it would rise to the level of mandatory reporting but it's been a while since I took the course.

At a minimum I would make a report to the head of the organization making them aware of the reasons why you are leaving so they can make a decision if that is the type of HC they want to continue to keep on.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The whole thing comes off to me as an over the top coach and a parent with a legitimate axe to grind. But that does not mean you need to step up to the grindstone. It is one thing to be the parent who took their kid to a better environment/opportunity but another to be the parent who pulled their kid and talked all the way out the door. Softball world is very small and you need to pick your battles.

Dec 2, 2017

At a minimum I would make a report to the head of the organization making them aware of the reasons why you are leaving so they can make a decision if that is the type of HC they want to continue to keep on.[/QUOTE]

So this coach is also the head of the organization. Apparently she has reputation for making girls cry. A few people warned us before joining. Now we know for our selves. Lesson learned

Nov 18, 2013
Reminds me of the line don't worry when the coach is yelling at you, the time to worry is when they stop.

I'm probably too old to understand, but I don't see the abuse. Was there physical contact? Did he get in someones face and scream obscenities? I get it his style might not work for all kids, but there's plenty who thrive in that environment. I'd be reluctant to call it abuse unless there's more I'm missing.

Perspective is also important. A 10U parent is going to look at it a lot differently than a college parent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802