Replant is now OK in women's softball???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BLB

May 19, 2008
After watching some women's college softball as well as US and Canadian national teams in action in the last few years, it seems that replanting is not called anymore in women's softball. At least half of the college pitchers I've observed plus pitchers such as Cat Osterman and Robin Mackin are clearly pushing off the pitching plate with their weight again falling on their pivot foot prior to stride foot landing. Some of these pitchers are even airborne an inch or two. Does this mean pitching instructors should not discourage pitchers from using this approach as this technique is being accepted everywhere now?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I want to teach my players the correct and legal way to pitch. They may change it on the mound, but at my lessons i keep them legal.

I agree that the replant isn't called very often.

May 27, 2008
It appears as though the latest craze among "high end" pitchers is to step off, or forward from the rubber with their drive foot, reestablishing their plant 3 to 5 inches in front of the pitching rubber. It is not a crow hop, but definitely a replant. I would hate to think this is being taught so as to gain an advantage, much less see younger girls watching the older girls on TV doing it. A. Tincher from VA Tech does it often and does get called for it. Monica Abbott does it as well as Jenny Finch. You will see it called by umpires, however inconsistently it may be called. Getting to see alot of America East games this year, there were some pitchers guilty of in that conference. Perhaps it is being taught.

May 12, 2008
Please distinguish between replanting and pushing off and please define replant in terms of how much of the shoe must be in contact with the ground to call it a replant. And if Cat replants or pushes off again she's doing it with her big toe as it rolls over from hip rotation. Must be a bionic toe.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478